ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ᴏɴᴇ

𝗥ayne tapped on her nails lightly, checking to make sure the nail polish she'd just applied was dried now

𝗥ayne tapped on her nails lightly, checking to make sure the nail polish she'd just applied was dried now. She thought going to a ball with nothing on them would be boring, so she ran out earlier and bought some white polish; a good contrast for the red gown she was wearing to the event.

She was sitting on the bed, in between Rueben's legs, leaning back into him as he sat against the wall, phone in one hand, scrolling through social media. His chin was resting on the top of her head, and every so often, he would let out a sigh or a mumble, letting her know that he was still alive.

Not feeling any stickiness on her nails, she rested all the way back into her boyfriend, putting one leg up and bending it at the knee. Rueben looked down at her as she tilted her head back to get a better look at him. His pale hair hung from his head in straight lines; she realized then how much she preferred it when he didn't do anything to it. He looked much more like himself with it down, than he did with it up – pretending to be someone he was not.

"Hey gorgeous," he smiled.

"Hi."

"Are you all done?"

"Mhm."

She raised her hand, showing off her newly manicured fingers. He grabbed it from the air and pulled it close, inspecting her work. Then, he brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it all over, making her giggle from the sensations, as well as his overly affectionate actions.

"I like them."

"So much so that you'll let me paint yours?"

He smiled gently, "Sure."

Rayne, not even realizing that it was something she wanted until right now, grinned wickedly and pulled his palm over her body, placing it on her thigh. She grabbed the nail polish again, hitting it against her open hand to loosen up the liquid, before popping it open and getting to work.

"Don't make it messy," Rueben teased behind her.

"Never. I am a perfectionist."

"Yes," he breathed, "Yes you are."

She looked up halfway as a knock on the door sounded softly. Rueben told them to come in, and a second later, Mason's fluffy hair popped through the entrance. He smiled duly at them and entered, closing the door behind him.

He plopped down on the bed, "Whatcha doin'?"

"Painting Rueben's nails."

"Oo, what color?"

"White."

"Awe – his favorite."

Rayne looked up, frowning, "Oh yeah. I forgot about that."

"Ouch," Rueben mumbled.

"Sorry," she shrugged, "I'm only painting his nails this color to match mine."