ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ

𝗛e listened to the sound of his sneakers hitting the white tile as he paced back and forth in the operating room waiting center, awaiting an update

𝗛e listened to the sound of his sneakers hitting the white tile as he paced back and forth in the operating room waiting center, awaiting an update. A couple minutes after Rayne flatlined, they were able to get a pulse once more. After that, none of the nurses gave him a second glance. The swarm that entered the room carted her out of the ICU and ran her to OR three where she currently was.

That was about an hour ago.

So far, there haven't been any more updates.

"Rueben, sit down," his father's voice sounded before him.

He stopped his steps and looked up. Emmet and Isaac were sitting in the chairs, looking at him worriedly. Both of them looked exhausted – not that he could really blame them.

"Okay, okay," he whispered, taking the seat in between them.

"I know you're anxious about Rayne, but we need to start thinking logically about the situation. Do you have any idea who could have done this to her?"

"Did you ever run a background check on her?" Isaac added.

Rueben shook his head, "No, I didn't want to invade her privacy."

"Did she ever tell you anything personally?"

"No, she—" but he stopped and looked up, "Wait..."

"It has to do with her father, doesn't it," Isaac asked.

He whipped his head in his direction, "Yes. How did you know?"

"Taryn told me something at the Courthouse earlier; she said that she saw Carson talking on an earpiece about him planning something against Rayne," Isaac buried his head in his hands, "I told her to wait and tell you two when we were at the celebration at the Estate, but Rayne never made it there," he shook his head, "Shit. I'm sorry."

Rueben looked at his friend sadly.

Is this what he sounded like when he unnecessarily took the blame?

"It's not your fault, Zac. You couldn't have known."

"I know."

He was about to comfort him more when the doors that are 'staff only' swung open. He immediately climbed to his feet as Dr. Brown stopped in front of the three of them.

"How is she?" Rueben blurted out.

"She's fine," he assured, to which he let out a long breath, "—however, there were some complications."

"Like?"

"When we first went in when Rayne arrived at the hospital, we didn't notice that one of her ovaries had been impaled by the weapon; this is the reason why she flatlined again – we missed the internal bleeding," he looked wearily at the three of them, "That being said, by the time we got in to fix the problem, it had become irreparable. We had to remove the damaged ovary, and in doing so, we, unfortunately, could not save the baby."