ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ

𝙍ayne tipped her head back, soaking up the sun rays as she kicked her feet gently back and forth in the moon pool before her

𝙍ayne tipped her head back, soaking up the sun rays as she kicked her feet gently back and forth in the moon pool before her. The water was warm, as was the summer air. Her medium length hair flew around her, creating a wall of red on either side of her peripherals.

She turned her head to the side, tucking her hair behind her ears as she heard the sound of her brother yelling behind her. She only had seconds to raise her arms as a shield before Matteo jumped into the water, splashing on her.

"Mat!" she yelled as he surfaced.

He laughed at her as she frowned; her hair was now sticking to the sides of her face.

"C'mon Sis, we're literally swimming."

"No, you were swimming. I was sitting here tanning," she contested, flicking her hair off her.

"Well, since you're already wet—"

He didn't finish his statement before he grabbed her wrist and pulled her into the pool. Rayne shrieked before falling under the water, getting a mouthful of its salty contents. She closed her eyes tightly and pushed herself off the muddy base, flinging to the surface.

She placed her hands on her eyes, trying to get rid of the water before she flung them open and glared at her brother. Matteo was just laughing at her, floating a couple of feet away. As much as she wanted to stay angry at him, the look of happiness on his face was too precious to pass up.

The way the sun gleamed in his golden eyes made her smile. His short hair was plastered to his forehead and his black eyebrow piercing was dripping with water. His white teeth showing, allowed his dimples to form on both cheeks. It was rare to see him like this.

Rayne rolled her eyes and splashed water at him, letting go of what he had just done. She toed the dirt underneath her and bobbed her head above water; this is nice.

"Are you having fun?" Matteo asked her, shaking the water off his hair.

"I am. Are you?"

"I always have fun with you, Ray."

She smiled, "What made you want to come here anyway?"

"Because of the accident, silly."

Rayne blinked, then frowned, "What accident?"

"Look down."

She did slowly, and only then did she notice the red that was circling around her. She yelped and pushed away, trying to escape the color, but the more she moved, the more it followed. She ran through the water towards the edge of the pool; when she climbed out of it, the red hadn't left her.

Rayne reached a palm up to her stomach; she was bleeding out. Her palm was stained with her blood as if she painted it with a paintbrush.

She turned around quickly; she almost jumped in fear. Matteo stood in front of her; he was no longer in his bathing suit with his wet hair. Instead, he was completely dried and in the clothes she last saw him in – that night he left her.

Wait, what am I saying?

I'm only seventeen. Matteo didn't leave me...

"What happened?" she looked up at her brother.

"The accident."

"I don't remember," she breathed, inhaling, and exhaling quickly.

"Carson stabbed you," he blinked at her and cocked his head to the side, "You don't remember?"

Rayne closed her eyes and pressed her shaking hands to her head. What the hell was happening? What accident? What did he do to her this time? It wasn't making any sense.

She shook her head and opened her eyes again. This time, she wasn't at the moon pool anymore. She was in a Penthouse building – her Penthouse building. She looked down and grabbed the ends of her blazer; it was soaked in blood, in her blood.

"I don't understand..."

"It's okay Sis," Matteo walked over to her, "I'm here for you now. We can be together."

"How? You were kidnapped."

She drew her head back again; what??

Where are these memories coming from?

"I'm here now," he repeated.

She looked up at him, searching his eyes; he looked happy – content.

All she could muster was a nod.

"Do you trust me?"

"Y'know I do," she answered.

He held a hand out for her. She hesitated for a second, but placed her hand in his. Their fingers wrapped into each other and Matteo smiled at her.

It was then that a bright light shined in front of her, blinding her for half a second. It dimmed and when the room came back into focus, so did her memories. She looked at the ground and noticed she was standing in her own crime scene. She was lying face down, bleeding out. She was dying.

"What am I supposed to do now?" she whispered.

"Stay with me," her brother replied.

She turned to him, "How?"

"By walking into there with me," he pointed to the light.

"But how are you here?" her chin trembled, "... are you dying?"

He smiled, "Of course, silly."

A tear rolled down her cheek.

"Don't cry," he reached over and brushed it away, "We can be together now. Forever. Like we promised."

Rayne nodded and looked at the ground. There was no other person she'd rather live with than her twin. But she couldn't help but feel like there was something she wasn't remembering.

Or someone.

"Are you ready?" Matteo asked.

She let out a breath and squeezed her hand around his.

Whatever it is – it's clearly not important.

"I'm ready," she answered.

And together they walked towards the light.

One step at a time.