ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛʏ - ᴏɴᴇ

𝗥uby spun in a fast circle, laughing as she rattled her toy before falling onto her butt

𝗥uby spun in a fast circle, laughing as she rattled her toy before falling onto her butt. Matteo chuckled and sat on the floor next to her, rubbing her cheek with the back of his thumb. She, absentmindedly, continued to shake her toy up and down as she crawled over to him.

He ran his hands through her thin, red hair, smiling at his little creation. Her dazzling green eyes grew brighter as the days continued to pass – each time he looked into them, he could see a reflection of her mother. So bright. So beautiful. So perfect.

His only wish now was that she was here with them.

Ruby pushed herself out of his lap and ran around the room again, going as fast as her chubby, little legs could carry her. He leaned against the frame of his bed and watched her quietly, feeling happiness like he never did before. For the last three days, she's been left in his care, and while he loved it, Enzo's silence was starting to bug him.

He loved his daughter more than anything in the world, but somehow, his estranged older brother loved her more. Like she was his little girl, keeping him grounded.

Jealousy was a real thing he felt toward him in the past, but since he was being granted more freedom, that feeling started to be replaced by gratefulness. When he and Lilly formed the plan to get her pregnant just to stop the abuse she was going through, he had always been worried about what would happen to the kid. He never thought that Enzo would step up and take his place.

Well, I never thought Enzo could be my brother, either.

Matteo tore his eyes off Ruby as the door to the stairs swung open. He slowly climbed to his feet, watching as his brother descended the staircase sloppily, muttering words under his breath. His hands were tense and his eyes were distant.

Something's wrong.

"Hey—" he started.

But the moment Enzo's eyes met his, he exploded. He barged down the rest of the stairs and crossed the room, not hesitating a moment before he raised his fist and slammed it into the right side of his jaw. Matteo fell backward, landing on the ground; he didn't waste a second. Enzo was on top of him, throwing his fist down with so much force, that his eyes started to go blurry.

Somewhere in the background, Ruby began to scream and cry. Hearing that sound snapped him out of this weakened position. He grabbed Enzo's side and threw him off, rising to his knees before he could jump back on top of him.

"What the hell is your problem, Enzo?"

"I am not Enzo," he spit, "That weak fucker."

"What?"

Matteo's confusion only lasted a moment because his brother rose to his feet and crossed the room, grabbing Ruby by the underarms; he placed her in the closet under the stairs and locked her inside. He rolled his head on his shoulders and grinned.