ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ - ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

𝗦he wrapped a piece of her blonde hair around her fingers, twisting in anxiety as she leaned back against the seat of her brother's car, feet up on the dashboard

𝗦he wrapped a piece of her blonde hair around her fingers, twisting in anxiety as she leaned back against the seat of her brother's car, feet up on the dashboard. She took a sip of her monster energy drink as he kept her eyes glued to the building in the distance – the one with the people they wanted.

Unfortunately for them, as they arrived in Los Angeles, the two people they'd been seeking went underwater. Not literally – but Rayne Miller was involved in some personal accident, resulting in a coma, and Rueben Torres was attached to her hip; he hadn't left the hospital for more than a couple hours – not even to get a good night's sleep.

It irked her.

She knew they had better things to do.

I, myself, have better things to do.

"Relax, sis," her brother looked at her, "We have the in we need."

Her eyes widened, "Wait you mean—"

"Yup," he nodded, "Rueben's accepted my offer."

She let a smile grow on her face as she realized that justice for her sister might happen after all. She knew that it was a shot in the dark targeting Rueben and Rayne because of Rueben's little sister, but her gut told her to go for it – she knew she was right.

Her brother worked for one of the highest ranking security systems in California. After asking for a transfer for Los Angeles three weeks ago, he overheard a conversation with his boss and Rueben; he was looking for a personal bodyguard. Of course, he jumped right on the offer; his credentials were phenomenal, as always, and his personal skills and ability to ignore his feelings for the sake of the job were probably what granted him the position. 

She turned her head back to the hospital, watching the people enter and exit as if it was part of their normal routine. She was excited to finally get the results she had been hoping for, but she couldn't help but frown at the thought of being close with them again.

It reminded her of high school all over again.

These people were the it people. Most popular – most funny; everybody wanted them. While she never got close to Rueben himself, she had been close to two of them.

Well, one by choice, another by association.

"What's wrong?" her brother asked.

She just shook her head, "Just overthinking."

"About that friend you knew?"

"Yeah."

She rolled her eyes; how does he always read my mind?

"How come?"

"It's complicated."

"Complicated in the fact that you haven't seen them in a couple years or complicated because you have something unfinished?"

She sighed, "The latter."

"I'm sure your friend will be happy to see you nonetheless."

She nodded without answering.

Her brother wasn't aware of which one she had been involved with as they grew up differently and in different homes. She had a different father – a rich one, which granted her access to the private school she attended. Her brother and sister had the same mother and father, so they lived together.

The three of them only met after high school.

It'd only been a couple of years, but it felt like forever.

Still, she sighed; her brother's statement wasn't necessarily true. When they parted, she gave them an ultimatum. Sure, they were dumb high school kids who had no idea what their lives would turn out to be, but they had grown up together – they'd been friends since they were five.

Inseparable.

She thought they would have chosen her.

"Let's just focus on the mission," she settled against her chair, taking another sip.

The mission.

That's what's important.