ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ꜰᴏᴜʀ

𝗙ortunately for him, the ballroom had a designated smoking area

𝗙ortunately for him, the ballroom had a designated smoking area. He stood with his shoulder leaning against the doorway next to the area. He raised a hand and plucked the cigarette from his lips, letting the white smoke rise and encase him. Even with it between him and his target like an opaque shield, nothing would deter him from what he needed to do.

And who he needed to talk to.

Rayne was only a mere twenty feet from his position. She was pressed to Rueben's chest, grinning up at him like he created this room for her and her only. His smile was equally placed; between them, he knew that only the purest of feelings existed. While the fact that they were together shocked him a couple of weeks ago, he knew that he shouldn't have been. They were perfect for each other.

But, because of his existence, Rayne had taken her eye off the money. She had forgotten why she had even met him in the first place; because of his bosses and their goal to bring them together. And for his foolish, past wishes to hurt her alongside Matteo.

So, it was now his turn to fix what he broke. It was his turn to write the path she needed to take himself. She was not going to do it alone.

Enzo leaned over and put his cigarette out, using his other hand to run through his hair simultaneously. When he stood back up, he gazed at his palm. He was happy to see that no brown residue lingered on his fingertips. He had spray dyed his hair dark brown to hide his identity, at least in the way he could. He knew that if he asked his sister to dance with him with his red hair sticking out, she'd immediately place him and question his motives as her friend.

She was much too smart for him to walk in here without a disguise. He needed more than just a mask.

He stepped out of the smoking area and walked into the dance floor. He smiled, laughed, and acted like he wasn't targeting her, but when he reached them, he had to act a bit serious. Rueben looked up first; the glare in his eyes was very subtle, something an untrained human wouldn't pick up on.

"Excuse me," he said lightly, masking his voice with a Spanish accent, "May I?" he looked at Rayne.

She seemed to shrivel up into her boyfriend's chest, almost like she was recoiling. But this was the last thing he needed her to do. She needed to step out of her comfort zone and fucking dance with him, even if he was a damn stranger. This was the one part of the plan that was uncontrollable; her distaste for people she didn't know – especially men.

"I think she's not interested—" Rueben started.

But Rayne interrupted him, "Sure," she swallowed, nodding, "Sure."

He looked at her with a question in his eyes, but she seemed to reassure him without any verbal communication. He smiled, nodded, and kissed her cheek; he lingered for a second too long, but it wasn't awkward. It wasn't possessive. It was just ... sweet.