ᴛᴡᴏ

𝗥ueben rested in a lawn chair, staring off in the rising night sky as he sipped on his lukewarm beer

𝗥ueben rested in a lawn chair, staring off in the rising night sky as he sipped on his lukewarm beer. It used to be cold, but that was before he decided to listen to the anxiety growing in the pit of his stomach and ignore the reality that was happening around him.

It'd been an hour.

Even more than that now.

Over an hour ago was the last time he saw and heard from Rayne and his brother. Granted, Beau didn't have a phone yet, but that wasn't the point. She has a phone; she let Beau use it that night they went to dinner here a couple months ago. There was absolutely no reason for her to be silent with him – not like this. Not after everything they've been through regarding her sudden disappearances.

He took another small sip as he bounced his leg up and down and moved his vision to the crowd of friends off near the fire pit. Mason had his face glued to his phone, texting. Taryn was standing nearby having, what looked like, an intense conversation with Elle and Emmet. Chloe and Rowan – invited by Rayne – were entertaining a pong game off to the side.

Still, the gathering looked empty.

Without her by his side – in his view – everything seemed unnatural.

It wasn't until he blinked and focused his eyes ahead of him, did he notice that Isaac was approaching him. He snapped out of his dazed state and looked up as his friend plopped down on the arm of the lawn chair he was perched in.

"Hey, what's with that mopey look on your face?" he asked.

"No reason."

"Don't give me that," he raised his own beer to his lips, "I know you better than yourself."

Rueben shifted uncomfortably in his spot, "I'm just anxious."

"About what?"

"Rayne. And Beau."

"What about them?"

"I haven't heard from them for over an hour – not even a text."

"Where are they?"

"Her old place," he said bitterly.

I don't want her there alone.

I don't want her to ever be alone again.

"I'm sure everything is fine; why do you always worry so much about her?"

That was the million dollar question, wasn't it? And of course, like most things, there were a million answers that solved it. Did he worry so much because he was scared something dangerous might end up happening to her again? Did he worry so much because as much as she tries to act like she's the toughest human on this planet, even she, on the inside, is just another wounded bird like himself? Or was the answer to his question simpler?

Is it just because I'm in love with her?

"I don't know," he said quietly.

Isaac looked at him sideways, "She's a strong woman Rue; you shouldn't think of her as weak."

"That's not at all what I'm doing Zac," he snapped, "I care about her – I fucking love her. I have an overwhelming sense of protection when it comes to her, just as I have for you and Mason."

"You love her?"

Rueben looked up as Isaac's smile transformed into a ginormous grin.

"Shut up."

"I knew it."

"It was obvious," he rolled his eyes and looked away, "How could anyone not fall in love with her."

"Uh—easy?"

Rueben shoved him, "You know what I meant. Anyways, you're distracting me from the point."

"And what was that again?"

"That I know something is wrong. Rayne wouldn't just not text me – especially when she has Beau in her care too. It's unlike her."

Isaac stood up and stretched, "Well, if you really feel like you need to check it out, then go."

Rueben looked up at him, "What?"

"Go. Go get your girl."

"For real? What if she comes here and I'm just an overreacting idiot? What if she gets mad at me for not believing she can hold her own when it comes to her old Penthouse?"

"Man, shut the fuck uppp!"

"Excuse me?" he climbed to his feet.

"All you do is whine; just get your ass in the car and go get her."

"But—"

"No 'buts' motherfucker," Isaac rolled his eyes and started walking back towards the fire, "It's better to ask for forgiveness, than to sit around and possibly be proven right – and in this situation, that's not what we want," he raised his beer before joining Mason's side.

Rueben placed the glass of his own drink down on the arm of the chair and shoved his hands into his pockets, making his way over to the crowd of people on the back lawn. Isaac was right; why the hell should he worry about Rayne's potential reaction instead of going and making sure that she was alright. Of course, he knew that the earful he'd receive later would make him regret ever going through with this, but it was worth it.

When it came to Red, it was almost like he had a gut – feeling implanted into him that made him aware of when something was wrong. It happened seven weeks ago, and it's happening now.

Rueben stopped in front of Taryn, Elle and Emmet and plastered on the fakest smile he could muster.

"Hey guys."

"Hey Rue," Taryn spoke.

"Hi honey," Elle answered, reaching over and brushing his hair out of his eyes, "How are you? Everything okay? – you don't look well."

Damn.

Am I really that see through?

"Yes, I'm fine," he replied anyway, "I just need to borrow Dad for a minute."

"Oh please do," Taryn laughed, "He was boring me to death about the new guns he ordered."

Emmet rolled his eyes, "Last time I talk to you."

"Thank god."

He side eyed her one last time before he let Rueben pull him away.

"What's up?"

"Can you come with me to Rayne's old apartment?"

"Why? Why are you going there?"

"I'm worried; it's unlike her to not respond."

Emmet looked at him for a minute before he nodded and started walking towards the driveway, "Okay, let's go."

Rueben was taken aback, "Just like that?"

"Yes," Emmet chuckled, "You're my son, sure, but you're nothing like me. However, if there's anything that I did give you – it's your intuition. I have no reason to doubt you."

"Oh."

"You have your keys?"

"Yeah," Rueben answered, running to catch up with him.

"Good, then let's follow your gut."