ɴɪɴᴇᴛʏ - ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

𝗘nzo placed Ruby in Matteo's arms, running his fingers through her hair softly as he backed away

𝗘nzo placed Ruby in Matteo's arms, running his fingers through her hair softly as he backed away. For the next couple of days, he would be to be parted from her. He hated it – he hated having to be away from her for long periods of time. Not because he didn't trust Matteo to care about her; he always had her best interest. He was just ... attached.

Ruby was his. His little girl, despite the genetics. When he wasn't next to her, he was constantly worrying in the back of his mind about her safety and health. It was a bad obsession, but it was one of the only pure ones he's had in his lifetime.

"I'll be back in a couple of days," he spoke to his brother.

"Where are you going?"

"Spain."

"For what?"

Enzo grabbed the sleeves of his shirt and adjusted it, "Rayne and her friends are going there on some type of vacation."

"Enzo—"

"I know what you're going to say," he raised a hand, stopping him from talking, "But it's not what you think. I'm not going there to play with her, at least, not negatively."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean she's taking too long," he sighed, "To figure out the whole truth. She literally saw your figure down here, and she still hasn't made any moves towards finding out what it meant. She needs a shove in the right direction."

Matteo coddled Ruby and gave him a curt nod. Enzo let out a sigh. While the two of them had a plan to stick together until they could both slip out from under this organization with their lives, there were a lot of things that his brother didn't agree with.

All of them mostly regarded their sister.

While he understood Matteo's overprotectiveness and his halting behaviors when it came to antagonizing her, he didn't necessarily know her anymore. Rayne was not the same teenager she was when they were trapped under the same roof as Carson. She's grown massively, and while he didn't know her during that time, he could still tell. She was a force to be reckoned with; her mind alone was like a punch to the gut.

"How are you going to do that?" he asked.

"I'd rather spare you the details."

"Don't hurt her," he said softly.

Enzo exhaled. Shook his head and turned away. He started to walk up the stairs, and reached the halfway point, when he stopped and spun back around. He found Matteo's side again and without thinking, he grabbed his shoulders and wrapped him into a hug.

He wasn't going to lie – it was an awkward thing to do. It was the first time he's ever wanted to do one of these so called affectionate moves. He was reminded why he never wanted to do this beforehand, but even with that thought in mind, he didn't pull back.