ᴇɪɢʜᴛʏ - ꜰɪᴠᴇ

𝗥ayne kicked her feet in the air as she hugged the pillow to her face, inhaling the scent of her boyfriend and trying to keep the warmth in the sheets after his disappearance

𝗥ayne kicked her feet in the air as she hugged the pillow to her face, inhaling the scent of her boyfriend and trying to keep the warmth in the sheets after his disappearance. It was the next morning and she woke up alone. She knew that he wasn't far and that she could find him if she really wanted to, but the appeal of this bed was more important to her.

She was supposed to be getting up for work, but the idea of going in today was disgusting. Ever since she was invited to spar with the group Rueben was working with, being a lawyer grew more boring. There was no fun – no action; just piles of paperwork and endless phone calls.

It was still her passion, and she still wanted to help everyone who had no voice, but maybe she could just extend her hiatus – at least until Matteo was found. Besides, Chloe and Rowan have been keeping her up to date on everything, and all the cases being thrown at her were civil, not criminal.

Rayne yawned and reached over to the nightstand, grabbing her phone. She clicked Chloe's contact and drafted a message, letting her know that she wasn't going in today and to forward her anything important, if it should come about.

As she sent it, another message came through.

Her eyebrow raised; Enzo?

She hadn't heard from him since that time they hung out – which was about two and half months ago. It wasn't just his fault though; she hadn't reached out to him either. After that one interaction, she had to admit, he was sketchy, but the majority of the time, he seemed nice enough.

Especially when he was with Ruby.

She clicked his message:

hey, long time no see.
r u free today?
ruby has been asking for u.

Rayne's thumb hovered over her screen as she contemplated the idea. She thought over her plans for the day, and everyone else's. Rueben was heading back over to his father's estate to discuss what he did to some of the members, as they didn't get to finish their conversation yesterday. Mason was over Kai's house – like usual – so she couldn't hang out with him either. Isaac and Taryn had been very secretive for the last couple of days; they would laugh and talk and whenever someone entered a room, the laptop would be slammed shut and they'd quiet down. Because of that, she had no interest in being around them alone.

So, what else was there to do?

i am.
what did u have in mind?

Enzo's response came in a few minutes later.

there's a park downtown we could meet at then
i was thinking of going back to my house and making lunch.

Rayne looked at the clock on her phone; it was nearing ten now.

yeah, that sounds like fun.
what time?

eleven work?