ꜱɪxᴛʏ - ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ

𝗝onah ducked under the yellow caution tape and entered the house of Emmet Torres

𝗝onah ducked under the yellow caution tape and entered the house of Emmet Torres. It was the first time he'd been on the property since knowing him. Even though his wife's murder was an ongoing investigation, only certain people were allowed inside.

Those people included himself, his team, and the medical examiner's team.

He adjusted the front of his uniform and walked into the living room – the one that the perpetrator selected to enter the house in. For the most part, it seemed unchanged. Emmet had provided a detailed list of his belongings; from what they could tell, this crime didn't occur as part of a robbery. All of his possessions were accounted for. It made the motive harder to decipher.

According to almost every file on Elle Torres, she was a stay at home, independent mother who spent most of her time in the garden behind the house. She was simple, and didn't have any enemies. Anyone who's spent time with her considered her to be a lovely person – that of an angel.

So it made it difficult to understand why she was targeted.

Jonah avoided the man crouched before him, taking pictures of the evidence, as he walked over to the window of entry. Splayed across the white sill was smudged blood, and a lot of it too. A half complete footprint was there too, indicating that the perpetrator exited swiftly.

If they looked at the bigger picture based on the remaining evidence, it was clear that the guy was rushed. However, it made no sense that he or she should've been, all things considered, except for one possibility. Elle was found still alive, and so one question remained.

Did the perp call the police themselves?

It would make the puzzle fit together perfectly. The marks and tracks they left were done without the worry of consequence, and no one else was home to report the crime. Hell, the police even beat Emmet and his son back, so who else could it have been?

He had three guesses to why they did this. The first is that the perpetrator got the wrong woman; maybe Elle's attack was a mistake. Maybe they realized much too late that they had the wrong person – maybe the wrong house in general. The second could have something to do with regret. The assailant might have felt bad for hurting a woman as kind as her, and so they called the cops to give her a chance at life. The final possibility was the one he didn't want at all: there was more than one attacker.

"What do you have for me?" Jonah asked, crossing his arms as he joined Asher's side.

Since putting the Torres trial behind them, Asher, as well as Auden had grown to be two of the more trusted people in the station. It was like the whole situation made them sharpen up; without really admitting it out loud, they understood the system was fucked up. Nevertheless, both of them still had their moments of being raging assholes, but it was something he grew to appreciate about them; neither of them really acted out of anger unless provoked.