ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ - ꜰɪᴠᴇ

𝗝onah gripped the steering wheel with his left hand as he glanced in the mirror at the cargo in the back

𝗝onah gripped the steering wheel with his left hand as he glanced in the mirror at the cargo in the back. There was a barred window separating the front of the truck from the back. The rest of the truck was designed to transport prisoners back and forth between different prisons; handcuffs were cuffed to their hands and to the center of the floor. There were no windows back there, and prisoners sat on hard benches in silence. Normally, a car like this could carry about eight inmates, but due to the increased violence against this one, they decided to transport him alone.

Christian Smart.

He had volunteered to be the one to drive him over to his new cell because he was interested in him. He wanted to understand the mind of someone who could do what he did to the woman he supposedly loved. Almost like he was trying to take notes – like a psychology major. It was his minor degree in that subject that piqued his interest. Plus, he was the chief of police – no one could overstep in him wanting to drive.

He had planned on bringing Auden with him, but he knew she wouldn't understand his questions. She would just sit there and pout the entire time. That was the last thing he needed.

Jonah shifted his eyes from the mirror to the road repetitively as he got a read for Christian back there. He was sitting as still as stone; he hadn't spoken a word – not even when he was placed into the vehicle. And he looked even worse than he normally did. His hair was short – a buzzcut – and his eyes were each soothing a black eye. His lips were busted; he looked quite broken.

Guess that's the price you pay for being a woman – beater.

And for helping Carson Miller get away with his crimes.

He let out a breath and faced the road again. If there was one thing that sucked about being a cop, it was cases like these. Ones that had an abundant amount of evidence, but still ended up going cold or falling short. He hated when true justice wasn't served.

Jonah shot a glance to his side mirror, seeing a glint of light in the reflection. His eyebrows dipped as he noticed a convertible car making its way toward him. It was going fast and it looked like it had no intention of stopping.

"What the hell?" he muttered quietly to himself.

There wasn't supposed to be anyone else on this road.

Roads like these were used specifically for inmate transportation; they provided a direct route as well as no traffic. This made it certain that no one could interject the process.

So why is this car here?

Before he could blink, the car was out of his view. Jonah quickly averted his eyes to the other side mirror; both of his hands were gripping the steering wheel now. The black glint of the car reflected once more before disappearing from the mirror. It was only a second that the car reappeared on his side.