ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ - ᴏɴᴇ

𝗥ueben scowled at the group chat that he was placed in thirty minutes ago

𝗥ueben scowled at the group chat that he was placed in thirty minutes ago. After his brother had rudely interrupted his nap hours ago by taking a picture of him sleeping on Rayne, he had chased after him, as well as Mason and Isaac who egged him on, to no avail. Beau ran and hid behind Elle, who then scolded him for chasing an ill boy around the hospital.

Now, here he sat, staring at a string of messages between his brothers.

B: simp

I: caught lackin'

M: feral behavior

shut up guys

M: siiiimpppp

B: bro's a loser

I: AHHAAH
who gave the child a phone

He rolled his eyes and clicked the phone off, not bothering with responding. So what if he fell asleep on Rayne? That was normal couple behavior.

Well, we aren't a couple, but still.

Rueben sat back in his chair, staring at the girl he was infatuated with as he crossed his hands over his chest and let their words sink in. Okay, so what if he was a simp? What was wrong with that? It's not like anyone other than Isaac can attest to what it feels like to be in love with someone. Hell, Mason was attached to that blue haired doofus for how long?—and no one gave him shit for it.

He let out a breath and stood up, walking over to the cot he's been sleeping on since Rayne was admitted here and allowed overnight visitors. He sat on the edge and began to undo the buttons on his suit shirt. He frowned at himself, realizing he should have packed a bag with sleep clothes; now he was stuck wearing this uncomfortable outfit.

Rueben stood up again and walked over to Rayne. He sat back in the chair; this was his daily ritual. Maybe it was a bit weird, all things considered, but it made him feel better.

He interlocked his fingers in hers as he listened to the faint noises coming from her monitor. He placed his chin on the bed and gazed up at her, enjoying her beautiful resting face. Her hair had gotten so long since being here; it was down past her chest now. The nurses had come in earlier and brushed it out before placing it into twin braids. It was something sweet that they did – it also prevented matting from happening, as she has been laying in this bed for two weeks now.

The corners of his mouth twitched downwards in a frown. A part of him believed that she was never going to wake up again; that he would never get the opportunity to be glared at with those brilliant, golden eyes of hers. The doctors have told him multiple times over the course of these weeks that there was no reason she was still sleeping. Her brain waves were normal, her bloodwork came back clean – even her surgery wound was almost fully healed.

The only theory they had was Rayne's will.

It was possible that she didn't want to wake up.

Rueben lifted her hand to his face, careful to avoid the IV as he placed his lips on the back of her hand. When he was done, he took it in both of his hands and pressed her rolled fingers against his cheek.

Yeah.

I'm a damn simp.

And I miss you.

If he could do anything in his power to wake her up – even if it meant switching places with her – he would do it. He would give anything to see her smile at him – to hear her laughter. He wanted her to live with him and to never be parted from his side for as long as she wanted him. He didn't want her to be resting in this bed, unmoving anymore.

He climbed to his feet and placed her hand gently back on the bed. He leaned in and brushed the back of his pointer finger across her cheek; it was still as soft as ever. Then he pressed his lips to her forehead for a lengthy second before backing up and turning around.

He walked over to his cot, stretching, reaching for his water cup; he needed to fill it up again so he had something to drink during the night.

"Mm.. mm..." a quiet murmur sounded behind him.

Rueben spun quickly, looking at the girl resting in the bed feverishly; as he was about to look away, her fingers twitched and folded into each other. He crossed the distance between them and investigated her. He looked at her eyes, her face – anything to indicate some disruption in her peaceful state, but there was nothing. He stared at her hand again, hopeful – but that hope was soon blown out.

An elderly woman getting pushed in the hallway but a night nurse mumbled incompressible sentences as she was carted down to her room.

He let out a sad breath and stared back at Rayne; she looked the same.

I really wish that had been you.

Wake up, please.

Rueben ran a hand through his hair gently as he turned and headed towards the door to fill up his cup. The hint of hope he had in his chest disappeared and left him exhausted. All he wanted to do now was sleep; tomorrow is a new day – maybe she'll wake up then.

He was four steps from the door when he stopped dead in his tracks.

"... R ... rue ..."

With wide eyes, he turned slowly on his heel.

This time he wasn't imagining anything – this time, there was no lady in the hall.

Her eyes blinked once ... twice ...

And then: "... Rueben?"