Chapter 2

Eren's POV:

I wasn't shaken up by the fact that Reiner had taken me and Ymir. I made it out alive. I knew I would. Although my limbs were cut, I was still fighting. I also knew that Commander Erwin along with the rest of the Survey Corps would rescue me. But something I hadn't expected was seeing Hannes die in front of me by the same Titan that killed my mother. I was angry. Furious. But I had a greater power that I wasn't aware of. After striking the murderous Titan's hand, they had turned away from me. The other Titans had attacked and then went after Reiner and Bertolt. I didn't know what it was but I had thought about it for weeks.

Other things had happened though. Ymir was gone. She had left Christa a letter; or should I say...Historia. We had later found out that she was a part of the royal family. The Reiss family. On top of that, Commander Erwin had awoken from his coma. Once he was conscious and back on duty, he had given Captain Levi a set of demands. It seemed as though Erwin was the only person Levi truly respected. It wasn't because he didn't like others, it was more so he didn't believe people deserved it. I was one of those people. Captain Levi didn't like me. It was fairly obvious. I knew how he felt. Although Commander Erwin gave him orders to protect me, you could feel Levi's aching desire to kill me. I wasn't trusted. I didn't let it bother me too much.

Levi and his squad were able to successfully capture Djel Sannes, a member of the First Interior Squad. But was it any surprise to anyone that he fulfilled his mission? No. He was Levi. Hence my obsession. He never failed. Never lost. Never backed down.

There was a plan to locate Rod Reiss, Historia's father, in order for her to be rightfully crowned as the true queen of humanity. Levi didn't care for many. But he cared for her. He masked it with authority and kept up with his stern and cold persona. But from paying close enough attention for so long, you start to pick up on things. With this effect he had on others, he had convinced her to become queen.

But it was the night before the plan. I was in my quarters and I heard a small knock on the door. It was surely past midnight.

"Who is it?" I groan, rubbing my eyes.

"Captain Levi, open up." Even with a quieter tone of voice, he was still stiff. I got out of bed and sluggishly walked to the door. I opened it and looked down at the smaller man.

"Is everything okay?" I yawn.

"Can I come in?" I nod as he joins me in my room. He looked at me in disgust as he leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. "Can you put a shirt on?" I roll my eyes and grab the nearest one on the floor. That earned another disgusted look. "Don't you ever clean?"

"Clearly not. Is that a problem?" I was too tired to entertain his attitude.

"Yes." Once again, not sounding very pleasant.

"What did you want to talk about? The plan?"

He was quiet. He was thinking.

"Why do you have this weird obsession with me?"

I wouldn't say it's obvious. All this proves is that he also watches me. I wasn't stupid.

"And how would that be obvious unless you were also paying attention to me? So I can ask you the same thing, why do you have a weird obsession with me?" I thought I was being smart. Only to be quickly embarrassed.

"Jaeger, I don't like you. I don't trust you. I protect you because those are my orders and I want to keep everyone alive." He uncrossed his arms and approached me. "Obsession isn't the word. It's caution. I'm waiting for the day when you reveal to all of us who the real enemy is. You. So I'll ask you again, why do you have a weird obsession with me?"

I was completely dumbfounded. At that point, telling him I practically worshipped him wouldn't be the best choice. But I couldn't think of anything else to cover up the truth.

"I look up to you." I felt ridiculous saying that out loud, especially to him. "You have it together. You're strong. You're heroic. You're fearless. I pay close attention to you because I want to be like you." My voice grew quiet at the end. I felt like his response wouldn't be what I would like to hear.

He scoffed. "Clearly you're not paying close enough attention if you think I have it all together. Just because I can rip your throat out where you stand doesn't mean I'm not as messed up as the rest of us. You don't know me. You will never get to know me. No matter what you try and figure out, no matter how much you think you understand me. You don't. So quit being a brat and leave your obsession behind."

"I don't need to know you." I shrugged. "Then I guess what I see on the outside is enough."

He walks up closer than he already was causing me to look 4 inches below me. "I'm no hero. I'm not an inspiration. I am not who you think I am. Leave it."

He left the room after that. I fell back on my bed and lightly slapped my forehead in disbelief.

Everything he said practically went in one ear and out the other because the only thing I could think of was, "holy shit, he is so short."