Chapter 1

Eren's POV:

I knew the power I held within me. Even before I had the ability to transform into a Titan. I knew I was strong. That was proven once I had saved Mikasa when we were just kids. I knew I wanted to protect others. But above all things, I wanted to be free.

Times were getting tough. It wasn't until recently that Reiner and Bertolt had revealed themselves to be the Armored and the Colossal. Although everyone was able to defend themselves, I knew how much I was relied on. I refuse to let anyone down. Not the Survey Corps, not myself, and not our freedom.

I tried not to get distracted but as a 15 year old, your brain tends to wander. I cared a lot for the people around me. Mikasa, Armin, Sasha, Connie, not so much Jean. But then there was Captain Levi. It was more of an obsession. I wanted to be like him. Although I wanted to be Eren, I didn't think taking notes from humanity's strongest soldier would hurt. He was fearless, he was brave, he didn't let anyone or anything get in his way. That's what I wanted. Him being the observant man he is, immediately noticed my studies.

We were all sat in the dining hall and I was rather close to him. Him holding his teacup in an unusual fashion was something that caught my eye.

"Quit staring, Jaeger." His voice almost always stayed the same. Unamused and emotionless. I didn't say a word back. I just continued eating my food. But then I felt another pair of eyes on me.

Mikasa.

I looked at her with a soft smile. She just sighed. I slightly motioned my head to the door, nonverbally asking her if she wanted to leave. She gave a slight nod.

"Captain," I look at him, already standing up, "can Mikasa and I be excused?"

"Go." He spoke with the same emotionless tone then brought his teacup up to his lips.

Mikasa and I left the room and started to walk down the hall quietly.

"What's on your mind?" I stared at the ground with my hands in my pockets. Nothing had happened between us. But she was struggling. You can only act so tough for so long.

"I'm tired." She crosses her arms after adjusting the red scarf around her neck. I knew what she meant. She wasn't physically tired. It was emotional exhaustion. "Do you think this will ever end?"

"Yeah." I look at her with a gleam of faith in my eyes, hoping she'd see. Of course she would. I knew how she felt about me. But I've chosen not to speak on the matter. The way I paid close attention to Levi is how she paid attention to me. Except mine was to see how a real man should act, not because I loved them with all my heart.

She looked in my eyes and caught onto the emotion I was trying to convey. "How could you be so sure?"

I stopped walking and turned towards her. "We're gonna do it." I grab her hands and smile. "We're going to kill all the Titans. Every last one of them. I'll never stop until we do."

"Then I won't either. You know I'm by your side till the end." I gave her hands a light squeeze and looked deep into her eyes. She's beautiful, I'll never deny that. I pulled her to my chest and wrapped my arms around her. She returned the gesture and dug her head in my shoulder.

"Thank you." I whisper then lightly kissing the side of her head.

"For what?"

"Being my best friend."

My best friend. That's all she'll ever be.