Chapter 143: Unprepared

Izuku's POV:
I abruptly woke up from my desk, knocking off some of the blocks I was experimenting on yesterday. I noticed how my clothes were slightly damp from my sweat, meaning that I had another nightmare. I looked at my digital All Might clock on my desk to see that it was 5:00 in the morning. I stood up and went to the bathroom to clean myself of my sweat.

As I was soaking in the bathtub, I was trying to figure out why these nightmares keep on happening. This was a question I pondered to myself every day as all the research I've done doesn't really match my symptoms since I would have at least some feeling about what had happened in my nightmare, but no matter how hard I tried, there was nothing. I was in the bathtub for about twenty minutes, still in deep thought, before I got out and dried myself.

When I entered my room, I take notice of the blocks that I had previously knocked over

I slowly picked up all the blocks that fell and placed them on my desk. I then take notice of one of my notebooks that were opened to written data of various experiments. I could hear mom just getting things ready for breakfast, so I decided to take my time in analyzing the data set I collected as I waited.

Inko: "Izuku! Breakfast!" she called out as I lay in bed with my notebook being held above me and a pen in my mouth, already having written a few footnotes about each block.

Izuku: "Coming!" I yelled back to her as I set my notebook on my nightstand, next to my All Might figurines, and I then got out of my room and went to the dining table.

We had a nice quiet breakfast together before we started talking with each other.

Inko: "I see that you've been focused on your blocks yesterday." she chuckles and takes another bite of her fried fish while I stood there stunned as I don't remember her coming into my room.

Izuku: "When did you-" I was about to ask but it seemed she had an answer prepared.

Inko: "It was around the time I came back from work. I called you many times but you didn't respond. I got worried and went to check inside of your room. That's where I saw you muttering to yourself as you were taking notes in your notebook closely examining the blocks." she chuckles some more. I felt so embarrassed that I didn't even notice her as I was too distracted, forgetting my everyday greeting. "It's fine sweetie. It's not that big of a deal. I'm just glad you are pursuing your hobbies and studies instead of wanting to be a pro-hero yourself." which shocked me stiff, as I thought I may have misheard her.

Izuku: "Why would you say that?" I questioned, which seemed to surprise her.

Inko: "Oh. I-I thought you were trying to be someone who supports heroes instead. I-Isn't that why you hang out with Daichi, Mei, and Yaoyorzu? T-To learn how to create support gear." she says nervously as I stood there stunned, trying to disbelieve in what I'm currently hearing.

Izuku: "I'm still trying to be a hero! Why do you think I was taking all those lessons with sensei?!" I yelled out to her.

Inko: "F-For self-defense." she says nervously.

Izuku: "What about all the times when I said I wanted to become a hero when I was young? Even after learning the fact that I was quirkless?" I said in disbelief.

Inko: "I thought you grew out of that mindset! E-Even though you still admire heroes, I-I thought you realized that it was too dangerous, which is why I thought you gave up on being a hero since you don't have a-" she quickly covered her mouth as she realized what she was about to say but it was already too late.

I was leaning on the table, being held up by fists as I clenched harder, feeling anger rising within me. I wanted to lash out but I couldn't. I could see where she was coming from, a mother worried about her quirkless son in a world with dangerous people, but I couldn't forgive her yet. I thought she was supporting me all this time, but instead, she was only supporting the thought of me being something else besides a hero.