Chapter 36: Gift Preparation

Izuku's POV

Thanks to sensei's advice, I spent the week trying to draft a song for Yaoyorozu's birthday. I would have spent time in class trying to write the lyrics but when I first started but Kacchan took my sheet and made fun of me, saying that I had no friends to sing it to due to me being quirkless and then he burnt the sheet. I now just write the lyrics during my free time at home or at Daichi's place. Friday came by and after training, I met up with Mei at our usual spot.

Izuku: "Hey Mei! Are your babies all fixed now?"

Mei: "Yeah, thanks to you Muscles," as she punched my shoulder, "So, what are we going to do for today?"

Izuku: "The hardware for the prototype seems to be working now and the basis for coding is there, I just need to add more coding so that it can do more advanced stuff."

Mei: "Hmm, alright. First, let's see if the baby can move around properly." I then take out the prototype that we have been working on over summer break and the UCS.

I connected the bot to the UCS, which has all the stored programming for the bot. I had start doing simple movements with it at first, like walking back and forth, and side to side. Everything seemed to be going pretty well until I tried to make the claw aspects be used to climb the tree, which just broke pieces of the tree off.

Izuku: "Looks like I need to readjust the coding for the grip strength of the prototype."

Mei: "Good, while you are doing that, I'll go ahead and fiddle with the drones." she reaches into my bag and takes out one of the drones.

Izuku: "You're not going to help?"

Mei: "I'm a mechanic, not a programmer. I know some basic programming but anything that is too complex is too much for me. So I'll just go ahead and fiddle with the drone to see more about air propulsion and how I can use it for the hover soles." without asking permission, she begins dissecting the drone, seeing how the mechanics and wiring works.

I just sigh since her findings may help improve the drone. I go into my UCS as I start making revisions to my programming. While we were both working, I started humming to the lyrics for the song I'm writing, which caught Mei's attention.

Mei: "Hey Muscles! What's that tune you're humming? It sounds interesting."

Izuku: "Oh, it's a song I'm trying to write as a present for a friend."

Mei: "Why are you writing a song instead of giving her a physical gift?"

Izuku: "She can buy anything and make anything. What can I give her that she can't already get herself?" She pondered for a bit until she finally answered.

Mei: "No idea but it is still nice to receive something as well so that she has something to look back to." as she is still messing the air propulsion on the drone.

Her suggestion was great feedback that I became sluggish in my programming since I was busy thinking of what would be a good memento. We ended the day with her rebuilding the drone the way it was and some of the codings finished for the drone. I had a rough idea of what to get her since it's something easy to get but the memory will last a lifetime. I started drafting how I will be able to make the momento.

I woke up the next day as I fell asleep on top of my desk as I over-extended myself. I went to check the clock on the laptop only to notice I was running late. I quickly packed my bags and got ready for the tutoring. I rushed to the car in front where the driver was on his phone waiting for me.

Izuku: "I'm so sorry for making you wait!" The driver just took a glance at the rearview mirror to see me bowing with my hands collapsed together.