Chapter 132: A Relic of the Past

Satoshi POV:

I walked inside of the lab to see Midoriya taking a look at the list of things we need to do for the day. I was about to head to my own table to get started on one of the assigned tasks, but I then remembered something that would be useful. I headed over to my desk as I then unlocked the bottom drawer to retrieve a box. I then blew off a layer of dust and opened the lid as I then rummaged through some old photos, memorabilia, and other small gadgets.

Once I found what I was looking for, I sneakily walked over to Midoriya, planning to plant the device from behind, but as my hands were a few centimeters away from his head, Midoriya reactively grabbed my wrist and gripped hard as he then turned around to glare at me. I was surprised to see this, but I also noticed that his eyes had a darker shade to them. Once he noticed it was me, he looked shocked as his eyes returned to normal as he instantly let me go and quickly apologized repeatedly while bowing. I was going to ask him what that was all about, but it might have been my imagination as I was shadowing over him, which may have made things darker.

Izuku: "I'm so sorry Nakamura-san!" He said once more loudly, which was louder than normal since he didn't realize how loud he was as he then stood straight back up and noticed the thing in my hand, "What's that?" as he lowers his volume but still louder than his normal speaking voice.

I gestured to him to wait as I then placed the thing on his neck and placed some coverage over his ears. I then pressed a button to activate it.

(Similar to this design but the earbuds are actual covers that go over the ear.)

Satoshi: "I wonder if it still works

Satoshi: "I wonder if it still works." I whisper to myself, "Can you hear me?" I questioned him, to which he nodded in surprise.

Izuku: "Is this some form of hearing aid?" he questions in his normal speaking voice.

Satoshi: "Yeah. It's something that Benjiro and I made while we were at our university as we had a lot of explosions to deal with." I chuckle a bit as I remember the number of times that I had been in an explosion accident as we were trying out something new " Instead of amplifying the noise to the eardrum, this shuts off the usage of the ear and instead sends a pulse from the neck to the brain in order to mimic what the eardrum does, but this is one a bit more sensitive as you can feel the slightest vibration in your surroundings, which may put you on high alert, but there is also a maximum setting towards how much charge it can send in order to prevent loud noises sending too much voltage to the brain." I said to him as he looked amazed.

Izuku: "This can help heroes be more aware of their surroundings so that they won't get surprised by an attack." as his eyes shined with excitement, making me chuckle.

Satoshi: "Yeah, that would be nice." I said back to him as my tone got sadder, making him confused, "This device itself is loose around the neck area so that it doesn't feel like it'll choke the user, but the thing that sends in the pulse has to be on a direct spot in order to get accurate results. It could only run separately for an hour without charge. To have it continuously run, it'll need a 10-kilogram battery pack wired to the device itself. So it's not ideal for moving around a lot but rather stationary work, which I don't think would be very helpful to anyone at that point. Even we stopped using this once we had fewer accidents." which seemed to spur a curious look from him as he then switched to being in deep thought.

Izuku: "Do you mind if I take this? I can make readjustments to it to help fix those problems?" he questions.

I was hesitant in giving him the device as it was one of the first projects that Benjiro and I worked on and one of the few things I have to remind me of him from our younger days. I was about to say no but then I flashbacked to a similar situation I faced.

~~~~Flashback to Satoshi and Benjiro's 1st year at their university~~~~

I was storming to Benjiro's dorm as I was told that he gave one of our old projects away to someone else, angering me.

Satoshi: "Are you kidding me?!" I yell out as I slam the door open, surprising him as he was in the middle of working on another project.

Benjiro: "Oh. Hey Satoshi! What's wrong?" as he resumed working on his project.

Satoshi: "What's wrong? What's wrong!? Do you know how long it took us to get that thing to work? And you're just giving it away to someone else? Don't I at least have a say in this?" I asked out of frustration.

Benjiro: "What are you planning to do in the future?" he questions while he continues working.

Satoshi: "To invent gadgets and devices for heroes, as a way to support them." I said confused as he already knew this.

Benjiro: "For what?" he asked me.

Satoshi: "To help heroes so tha-" but Benjiro interrupted me.

Benjiro: "For what?" he asks me again, frustrating me as it was the same question.

I stopped to ponder what he was trying to get at, which lasted for about 5 minutes until I thought I had the answer.

Satoshi: "So that I can help people." I said to him in a more calm and relaxed manner, which seemed to make him stop his work as he then swiveled his chair in my direction.

Benjiro: "Good." as he then takes a breather, "The reason why I gave our old project away is that we had no further plans to develop it, we believed it to be fine the way it is. But someone else saw more potential in it, so I gave it to them so they can improve it themselves, that way it can be more helpful to others in the end." he said in a positive mood.

Satoshi: "Why do I keep getting pulled into these things. You have too much of an optimistic mind." I said to him as I sigh.

Benjiro: "Isn't that why I have you to back me up for when I become too blind from my optimism?" as he smiles.

We stared at each other as we then laughed. I got behind him as I then started getting into his next project he was working on.

~~~End of Flashback~~~~

After remembering what Benjiro said to me and seeing that Midoriya had the ability to improve it, I had changed my mind.

Satoshi: "I expect something great from you then after you're done with it." as I then ruffled up his hair, causing him to laugh .

Izuku: "I promise." as he then gave me a determined smile, making me smile as well.