Adapting (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

All four were listening attentively, awaiting his response.

Event the loud obnoxious boys and girls didn't speak out.

Chabashira sensei was in the same state of mind as her students.

That silence last for five minutes.

Until the boy finally spoke.

Ayanokouji POV

"What are you doing here Shizuku?"

I couldn't believe what was in front of me, my brain went blank, my eyes showed the ugliness that I wanted to hide from everyone.

My tone of voice was strong, I wanted to know.

This is a cruel joke, I have Kei. So why is my heart drawn towards her.

I know Kei can see me, I know what she is thinking.

I know and I'm sorry, my heart is split between the two of you when it shouldn't be.

My heart is looking at both of you, both of you resemble eachother, but I can't pick between the two of you.

Shizuku: "It is me Kiyotaka, I came to see you. Haha aren't you going to give me a hug, I- I missed you."

She's trying to be strong...

Her urge to cry when she saw me was growing, her emotions were overflowing.

That love of hers still hasn't vanished and I knew it.

Kei looked between the two of us in horror, she was a smart girl in terms of social interaction, and what she could infer in this situation was that this was a reunion.

But not just any reunion, rather a reunion between two old lovers.

The difference is we never reached that stage...

The class were stunned by her statement, many had their faces coloured with apparent shock.

My neighbour who was listening to us was equally as shocked as everyone.

Horikita then stood up, immediately all the attention went to her.

Horikita: "Suzuki san, if I may ask, what is your relationship with Ayanokouji kun?"

Although a straightforward question asked in a calm tone, I couldn't help but notice her peculiar body language. Her left eye was twitching.

She already knows...

She just wants additional information that she may use against me.

Obviously she wasn't the only person who would ask that question.

Kushida: "Suzuki san, you seem oddly fixated with Ayanokouji kun, why is that?"

She asked for a particular reason, where as Horikitas question could be answered with a vague and dismissive response, they way Kushida worded her sentence meant that any fallacies in her response could easily be seen.

If Shizuku were to respond with just a "We're old childhood friends." That wouldn't be enough, her question gave her a possibility to ask a more private question.

Social interaction mandates that lies can be seen in the way the person acts. Right now Shizuku was vulnerable to her emotions. It would only take one thing to break her walls.

Shizuku: "Me and Kiyotaka were old childhood friends, but he moved away at the age of six...

She paused to take a deep breath before showing the whole class a wry smile.