𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙾𝚗𝚎 𝙷𝚞𝚗𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗: 𝙱𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚜𝚎𝚋𝚊𝚕𝚕

"Thanks for walking me to the agency," Mina said, smiling as she reached up to adjust my tie. It was black today, and peppered with little cartoon film clappers.

Our walk had ended, and while it was freezing, it was still very enjoyable.

She had said that she had business back at her agency, and I, in turn, offered to walk her there.

"It's no problem, just what any gentleman would do. I didn't realize you had a shift today."

"I don't, but I wanted to talk to Eijiro about something before I went home," she responded, hands moving from my tie to the lapels of my suit jacket.

"Well I hope your talk goes well," I smiled at her and her face spread into a grin.

Her teeth are very, very white. She's pretty when she smiles.

"Thank you! I hope work goes well for you too! So I'll see you Saturday? At the gala?" She bit her lip and smiled, looking up at me with excitement.

"Yeah, you'll see me there."

"Great!" Gripping my lapels, she pulled me down, smashing her lips onto my left cheek. She pulled away as quick as she pulled me in, kissing my right cheek and then finished by finally pecking my lips.

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the fuck.

"See you then," she mumbled once she had pulled away, but still stayed close to my face.

"See you then," I absentmindedly responded as she pushed me back up, flattened my lapels against my chest and turned to walk into Eijiro's agency.

I stood there for a moment, not quite sure what to do.

She just— she— you know what? Okay.

I turned on my heel, still utterly confused, but not mad at what Mina had done. Just surprised.

Mina is definitely the kind of girl that platonically kisses her friends, no question, it's fine. Besides, I don't need another person liking me right now.

"Guys, that's Mina's crush, don't be so insensitive!"

"Let's see who can kiss (L/N) first."

She likes me doesn't she?

I listened to the cars passing by and my shoes clicking on the pavement as I walked and thought.

It was a nice kind of peace, the noises of the city.

I mean yeah, it gets annoying and for the first few months you can barely sleep at night because of it, but— after a while it becomes calming. A sort of ambient white noise that you don't notice as much.

It's calming, and for the first time in a while, I had the time to stop and enjoy it.

All good things must come to an end I suppose, I thought as the subtle peace was interrupted by my (rather quiet, but the vibrating couldn't be ignored) ring tone.

I scrambled to grab my phone out of my back pocket as to not cause a scene, but I seemed to have failed since people look at me anyway.

I quickly answered the call as soon as the phone was in my hand properly and pressed the device to my ear.

"Detective (L/N) speaking."

"Hey (Y/N)."

The voice was familiar and I began to smile a bit in spite of myself.