20. Sorry And Thank You For Everything

Please refer to chapter 5 if you don't know what Daniel is talking about because that happened a loooong time ago

                         ******
Cath's POV :

The door opened and Daniel slipped in. "Hey, how's your hand now? Is it still hurting?" He smiled at me and sat on the chair that was to the right of the bed I was sitting on.

I looked at my freshly stitched and bandaged wrist. The sight of the faint blood on the white cloth reminded me how much of a failure I'm in life. Not only in life, but also in death. I closed my eyes to forget it all.

                   *********
The beeping sound echoed in my ears. The noise thrusted against my ear drums. I didn't know where it came from. All I wanted was for it to stop because hearing something meant that I was still alive.

I tried to open my eyelids which weighed a ton now. The slight opening showed me a blurry vision of the room I was in. It wasn't the place I used to wake up in everyday.

My vision was weak and I couldn't hold my eyelids open for long. It shut down without my command. I struggled to keep it open and managed to form a rift between the two lids.

An oxygen mask enclosed my nose. Tubes were inserted in my hand. The noise continued to echo throughout the room. The sound came from the box like machine present to my right. The heart rate monitor.

I pressed my hands against the bed to lift myself up a little. A sharp pang shot up my left arm and I winced. My vocal cords made a feeble attempt at shouting in pain which drained the little energy left in my body. I positioned my left arm carefully on the bed. Putting my full support on my other arm, I pushed my torso off the bed and sat upright.

My pupils dilated as I glanced around the eerily silent hospital room. Nobody was around. I was alone. My heart rose to my throat, blocking my voice from coming out. The beep sound became louder and faster, syncing with my own heart rate.

My chest rose and fell in a fast pace to take in more air to assist my lungs in breathing. My head spinned and my body felt heavy. I couldn't hold on any longer and fell back on the bed.

The room door cracked open and someone rushed in. The next few seconds went in a blur and I couldn't make out what was happening. Faces came and went in front of me. Once I became fully conscious, I saw a man in a white coat talk to my mom.

Tears dripped all over her face as she listened to whatever he said. A faint smile appeared on my lips. She could at least shed some tears for me. That meant that I still had a small portion in her heart. The doctor gave her a final nod and left the room. My mom walked towards me.

"Why are you still alive?" She asked amidst sobbing.

Those were the words of love from a mother to her dying daughter. Was I a fool to expect something more?