135. No Sam. No Cath.

Eid Mubarak! Hope u guys had a happy ramadan! How do you celebrate it where you live?

I would like to dedicate this week's chapter toEndingAtTheWillows
clairemosca

And this chapter is highly unedited without a proper read through! So please bear with it!

****************
Daniel's POV:

A narrow turn running into the tail light of a red mustang; a sudden brake in the middle of a speed bump; almost speeding through a red light. These were the risks I had to endure to reach my destination. I would do it again; do it all over again, and risk my life even if I had to die. But today it was rather important to keep myself alive if I wanted to save Cath.

The chilling thought alone was enough to make me turn the throttle twist. The engine noise increased, and the bike sped through the road, pushing open the gate of my house - my Sam's house. I jumped at the sight of Michael and the bike skid a bit to the right before it toppled over the slightly raised sidelines.

Michael immediately rushed towards me with a worried expression. "You got the keys?"

I nodded and jingled the instrument before I opened the door. It opened with a spring to it, an eerie noise of an empty house echoing behind. Each step I took, reverberated throughout the house as if it had been locked away in a dungeon far away from land.

Living room - furniture, carpet, TV, but no Sam, or Cath.

Kitchen - Fridge, utensils, counter top, a couple of stools. No Sam. No Cath.

Store room - empty box, an old washing machine, a couple of rags. No Sam. No Cath.

The climb up the stairs gave me a little bit confidence as this part of the house was the one that was predominantly used by the girls than the lower region. Maybe they decided to sleep in, and Michael couldn't actually see them properly in the darkness? That must be it.

First, I opened my room door, just in case Sam decided to sleep in here like she did most of the time. But after last night's event even I knew that it was highly unlikely. And I hated to be right for my room looked exactly the way I had left it three days ago.

A medium sized bed, slightly ruffled sheets, two pillows, a night lamp, a closet and a rugged couch with a small table on the side. I sighed and shut the door.

My feet stopped in front of the girl's room. I vividly remembered just how last night I stood right in front of this door, asking it to be opened. But right now, as I stood there in front of it, I didn't want it to, for it might give me the answer to my question, and the uncertainty of it was enough to scare the shit out of me.

Closing my eyes, I let out a staggered breath. "This is it." Without letting myself back out, I quickly twisted the knob and opened the door.
I didn't step inside. Not yet.

"Sam?" I let the whisper echo inside the room. Maybe she didn't hear me?

"Cath?" I stepped inside, my slow footsteps echoing in a mild rhythmic manner contrary to how my heart raced.