7. First Day

Mondays are universally declared as the worst day of the week

Mondays are universally declared as the worst day of the week. But this Monday is a tad bit more special because technically my best friend bailed out on me on my first day of college in a totally inexperienced place. That's not even the special part. The fact that Michael is my college mate is the icing to the cake. Thank god we aren't the same major. But still I have a feeling that I might have to spend a lot of time around him.

Sam had work early today, so she left already. I picked out the first dress from the closet and wore it, not minding about the combination. Michael was supposed to be here by 7:30. So I walked out to the balcony to check if his car had arrived. But it was no where in the vicinity.

I leaned on the railing with the support of my hands. Cars passed the avenue every once in a while. Black sparrows chirped from the branches of the large tree that reached upto the balcony. The chill breeze brushed against my face. I closed my eyes and a smile crept on my lips. In that moment nothing else mattered. I was jealous of the wind. She can go wherever she wanted, with nobody to stop her. I didn't know how long I stood there because it was one of the rare moments when I was really happy.

I went back inside and saw the time. It was 7:48. Shit! What was taking him so long? I pulled on my black sweater, grabbed my bag and ran down the stairs. Daniel was on the couch, flipping through the TV channels.

"Hey"- He smiled -"Haven't you left yet?"

"I'm waiting for Michael," I replied.

"He has been here for the past half an hour."

"What? I didn't see his car," I shrieked.

"It's right outside," said Daniel.

I blast open the door and find the car parked in the driveway right below the balcony. How did I not see that? I face palm myself. He laid on top of the car hood with his hands crossed below his head and his legs on the windshield. He grinned when he saw me.

"What the hell are you doing? I was waiting for you!" I shouted.

"Aww, you missed me baby? I was right here admiring my Juliet in the balcony." He smirked.

"What?" I blinked.

"I must say you looked beautiful with a smile in the wind. You must learn to do that often."

I ignored his comment. "Why didn't you tell me you came already?"

"Like I said, it's not often to see a smile on you. I just didn't want to miss the opportunity." He winked.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting for you?"

"Me too. Now that the wait is over, let's begin our life together." He jumped off the car and held out his hand in a dramatic manner.

"You are such a jerk!" I ran inside and slammed the door. I threw myself on the sofa and closed my eyes. How am I going to survive with him?

"It's not that hard," said Daniel. That's when I realized I said it out loud.