Ch 76: Shields & Sword

Avrin and Felia made their way to the entrance of the dungeon, which was littered with the mercenaries, geared up and ready for the best or worst outcome of the dungeon. Avrin looked around carefully, before he spotted Kael, who walked up to him. "Master, did you rest well? My training begins today, correct?!" He spoke with a dash of excitement.

Avrin nodded with a soft smile. "Indeed. But don't think this is easy. In this dungeon, there is only me and you. I will be focusing on your improvement." Felia, who was also readying herself after arriving, frowned a little, as she laughed to lighten Avrin's words. "Avrin, surely you're not thinking of leaving us alone?"

Avrin turned and gazed at her. "I don't need to babysit your band of mercs. If you bite off more than you can chew without being careful, I can't be the one to clean the mess up" Felia glared a little before sighing, Avrin's words were indeed right. If she and her men rushed, it would be their heads.

Kael looked around, quietly admiring the sight with a face full of excitement. It was as if he were entering a warzone. "Kael, lets go." Avrin spoke as he began to walk towards the dungeon.
Kael jumped up a little before running off behind him.

"Avrin, we aren't ready yet. We still have some people to wait on!" Felia called out, but her words were ignored as Avrin went on ahead. The only reaction was a curious Kael looking back at her, before vanishing into the dark mouth of the dungeon behind his master.

"Urgh.. That man..." Felia rubbed her forehead a little, before Wyni walked up behind her, tightening her attire. "Hmm? Where are Kael and Avrin?" She asked curiously. Felia gave a quiet smile and spoke "They have gone ahead" Wyni's face twisted with a little disappointment. "D..Damnit, my chance.. I'm going on ahead."

Felia quickly placed her hand on her shoulder. "Wyni, leave them. No doubt Avrin would consider your presence annoying. He has his reasons. We will catch up. Unlike him, we need all the strength we can get"

Wyni sighed in a slight pout before nodding. She couldn't abandon her friends for the sake of admiring a young boy. While the merc group prepared, Avrin and Kael wandered down several layers of the dungeon.

Kael was shaking with fright, as faint echoes of unknown voices jolted around. "M..Master, how can you not be afraid of this place?... It's only us... Can we really venture deep inside?" Avrin raised a brow behind his mask. "Do not be so afraid. You have yet to see any life, and you're so scared? Don't be a coward."

Kael took a deep breath and tensed his body, as if to force the fear from his bones and muscles, his face paling a bit, causing Avrin to shake his head a little. As they ventured a little deeper, Avrin stopped.

"Kael, lets start here. This dungeon is no doubt riddled with traps. Although it's impossible to see with your eyes, if you work hard enough, you may develop a sixth sense of perception or instinct to help you."

Kael looked at Avrin, a little confused. "Is this something you have, Master? How long did it take you to achieve?" Avrin shook his head. "My method is different and not usable by you. But the way you can develop yours is putting you in many dangerous situations until it's etched in your body. Which is why you're going to be walking upfront, 10 meters ahead of me."

As Avrin spoke those last words with an almost laughing tone, Kael took a step back and thought this was a joke of sorts. "Master, this... Isn't this suicide for me?.." Avrin shook his head. "Don't be so afraid. I want you to get that feeling of danger as traps and things appear. But that isn't to say I won't assist you."

Kael felt a little relieved, and decided to man up a bit. After hearing Avrin's reassuring words, he began to walk ahead. And from there, the two went on, downwards. It had only been 5 minutes before a portal behind Kael appeared.