Ch 29: Question's & Thievery

Avrin kept quiet for a moment then chuckled softly to himself. He didn't really know who he was himself. He was only aware that his race was spectral and judging by what god told him, this was the first time a creature like him had been created. He didn't really know how to answer Larissa, even if he intended to reveal much about himself, but he decided to go along with a plan. It was he had come up with in the case he was ever found out, so to speak.

Avrin's lips moved as if they had practiced the lines spoken a thousand times. "It's nothing special Miss Larissa. I myself wield an Enigma level ability." Avrin spoke softly enough for only their group to hear and it worked a little too well, as their jaws had dropped in surprise. Meeting one enigma wielding user was 1 in a billion but to have 2 in one spot was most likely a once in 10 life time's event. Kingdoms craved enigma ability users regardless of how useless they were - they would find a way to make it useful. But to have two in one spot was surely a sign of something.

Larissa gulped as she examined Avrin curiously with renewed interest "W-wow." She approached closer to Avrin and used her ability again to examine him, only to be welcomed by the same results: not a drop of mana and a somewhat anxious looking Avrin.

"Ehm," he cleared his throat which snapped Larissa out of it. She smiled softly, reached over, and grabbed Avrin's hands tightly in her own as if she had found a best friend.

"S-sir Avrin, I have no doubt you are telling the truth. Another Enigma level user...all my life I have been looked at differently and praised by others. To see someone other than me living that way is something that I have craved for all my life. I have only known of two users. I'm sure you also know one of them, but the other has secluded himself and I'm not fond of the current one," she sighed and shook her head with a smile as she gazed at Avrin.

"I-indeed." Avrin's cheeks were a faint red. She didn't seem to be bad and she had that gentle motherly aura around her, but he still pulled his hands away from her. He spoke softly, as he figured he could use these people for information if things played well. He had no interest in becoming friends with such people. "I am glad I could help a fellow enigma user." At that moment, Jin spoke with a grin, as his arms folded while he sat opposite of Avrin, his feet resting on the table.

"I don't believe him. I can smell that this guy is hiding something." His nose twitched which made Aleyn and Meika narrowed their eyes at Avrin. Whatever the case, it seemed they didn't hesitate to believe Jin, which made Avrin cautious before speaking.

"Regardless if he is hiding something, we are in no position to ask. Everyone is entitled to their secrets," Larissa said in a sort of pouty voice while glaring at the other three. Avrin was somewhat impressed as she took the words out of his mouth.

Aleyn was still cautious as she gazed at the female elf who was quietly standing beside him. "Selena, what do you think?" Aleyn seemed to place a lot of trust on this elf who stepped closer and asked Avrin a question

"Avrin was it? I'm curious - what is your enigma ability?" That question alone was simple, but precise. Larissa herself gazed at Avrin with curiosity.

Avrin had no intention of revealing his capabilities, but he smiled and nodded as he would try to trick this group of young adventurers that seemed quite well off. "My ability is nothing special... it is manipulation of darkness. Nothing special. I am only able to perfectly hide my presence."

It seemed to make more sense and the ability itself would be quite useless unless the owner was an assassin of sorts, which would mean that the power would become deadly. Larissa seemed a little disheartened by the ability as it seemed like it was meant for the use of dark methods.

But she nodded with a smile spoke to Avrin's defense. "See, it makes sense that he would have such an ability." The other adventurers, apart from Jin and Aleyn, seemed to relax a bit more. But they just shrugged it off.