Chapter 111 - A Long Night

Our trip to Kentucky so far has been a little different.. interesting. The guys have their usual thing for the show with regards to meeting people and getting their stories and experiences, and the guys have also been doing their research into the history of the property and surrounding area. But so far, during the lockdown itself, they haven’t managed to document any evidence of paranormal activity. No EVP’s, no orbs or other strange anomalies. No strange feelings or moments of freezing cold spots. The guys said it happens sometimes. 

“Well, this is turning out to be a waste of time” I point out, thinking out loud. 

“Charlie, the cameras are literally recording everything” Zak chastises. Oops. He’s a little frustrated, even if he’s not showing it. 

“Chill dude, we’ll edit this part out” Aaron reminds him. 

“Sorry. I just feel bad that nothing has been captured” I sigh. Yet, they remain polite and professional about everything, but it doesn’t go unnoticed that they are all a little frustrated about it. 

“It makes an episode anyway to hopefully show the viewers that we are a genuine team, authentic” Nick points out. Zak sighs. 

“If a place is haunted, we’ll capture evidence. If not, then I guess it doesn’t mean it’s not haunted, just not very active tonight with no evidence at the moment” Aaron says. 

“Either way, it’s always taken seriously” Zak says as he plays about with some equipment. “Well, it’s still only coming up to 3am now, perhaps activity might pick up and there’s still a chance we’ll get something” He suggests. 

“I could take an EMF detector and do a sweep, see if I get any unusual readings” Nick volunteers. 

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’ll go and be shut into that room where the dark stuff is supposed to happen” Aaron also volunteers. I would volunteer to do something, but us kids are not allowed anymore. 

“Ok, I’ll take the spirit box and see if any voices come through” Zak nods. All three guys grab their equipment and leave base again. I monitor the screens. Tommy has somehow managed to fall asleep. And Rhydian.. he has seemingly been unnoticed by everyone. 

What I mean is, I’m not sure what is going on, but he seems distracted or something. He keeps looking at his phone, messaging someone, or waiting for a message from someone. I know it sounds like he’s being a typical teenager, and we have all been on our phones a fair amount.. of course I’ve been all loved up with Caleb, sending each other selfies and videos, and voice-notes too when we’re missing the sound of each other's voices. But something about Rhydian seems.. different. Is he up to his old tricks? Talking to different girls? Maybe he’s getting to know someone? It’s a little amusing because I thought I was the one being secretive, but he is worse than me. The question is, do I question him about it? 

“Charlie, have you seen anything unusual on the monitors?” I hear Zak ask. Crap, I haven’t even been watching them, I’ve been too busy observing Rhydian. 

“I haven’t noticed anything so far” I say, lying a little. I think we all know that this place is a waste of time. It’s getting to a point where I actually just want to go back home, and I don’t think I’ve ever felt like that while out on location before. I love travelling and seeing the world, I’ve loved seeing Kentucky. It’s just a downer when you’re in a situation like this. It doesn’t stop the mind from wondering, I’m thinking about home, Rhydian.. Caleb, I miss him. I still don’t know how or when we’ll break the news of our engagement. Maybe we won’t until I’m like 25, or something. Could we both even manage to keep it to ourselves without even letting it slip by accident for that long?