Chapter 106 - Please don't be mad

"If I tell you, please, don't be mad" I plead, nervously.

"Charlie, I'm not messing around, where were you?" He demands to know.

"Please, Dad" I plead more. He rolls his eyes and sighs.

"Ok, fine, I won't be mad, just tell me the truth, please" He says. I take a breath and prepare to be honest with him.

"I went to visit Devon" I tell him, honestly. He freezes for a moment, his eyes have gone wide open in disbelief.

"What?" He questions.

"He sent me a visitation request and I was going to ignore it, but then I decided to go and make it a one-time visit" I explain.

"Please, tell me you're kidding" He says.

"I'm not, that's the truth" I tell him. He turns his back towards me and runs his hand through his hair, then faces me again.

"Are you out of your damn mind?" He questions, raising his voice a little.

"Dad, you said you wouldn't be mad" I remind him.

"That was before you told me you went to see the guy who nearly killed you" He says. I guess I should have known better.

"Ok, just to remind you that I am now 16 years old and I can do what I want" I tell him. He looks at me with more disbelief.

"Charlie, 16 does not mean visit the guy who nearly killed you" He points out.

"Well, it was my choice and it's done now, I'm not going back there either, just so you know" I say. Not mentioning just yet of what happened while Caleb and I were there.

"Wait.. hold on.. how did you get there?" He questions, confused. "Were you alone?" He asks. Now that I've start being honest, I may as well continue the honesty.

"Caleb took me" I answer.

"What? Caleb? But why would-" I stop him as he questions confused and a little annoyed that Caleb is involved.

"He took me reluctantly, very reluctantly, I knew that nobody else would and I dunno, part of me wanted closure, so I convinced Caleb to take me" I explain. He furrows his eyebrows at me.

"Charlie, is there something else that you're not telling me?" He questions.

"What do you mean?" I question, trying not to reveal our relationship yet.

"I'm sure you know what I mean, is there anything going on between you and Caleb?" He questions.

"Dad, I-" He interrupts me.

"Charlie, you have been acting differently since you turned 16, I tried not to think much of it, even putting it down to you maturing more or something, but you're seemingly on your phone a lot, and now thinking about it, you sort of light up when Caleb is around, you enjoy his company, you're quite close to him" Zak explains to me. I sigh in defeat, I thought we were doing well to be a secret, but apparently Zak is onto us, even if he didn't realise it until now.

"Yes, Caleb and I are in a relationship" I answer him honestly.

"Since you turned 16?" He asks, raising his eyebrows.

"As of turning 16, we weren't waiting for my birthday, it just sort of, happened, fell on my 16th" I explain.

Somehow, without realising it, we've moved from the front doorway, to the couch. Zak rubs his hand over his face.

"Are you mad?" I ask.

"No, I'm not mad, I mean, I'm not thrilled about the relationship.. but I know that Caleb is a good man" He answers. "Especially if you compare him to Devon" He adds quietly.