one more next time

Inspired by the Ariana Grande song (one last time)
Has me sobbing fr

——

"No!! Momma won again!"

Y/n laughed as she leaned back onto the bed. "Baby you just need to practice, I bet you'll be good next time." She stroked her hand through her daughters soft curls.

"Not fair, you're cheating." Fiona pouted whilst Finn smiled down at both of them. They've been at it for hours, and somehow y/n always managed to win.

"Am not." The woman playfully argued back. "Yes you are. I demand a rematch." Fiona clapped her hands and went on to arrange the board in front of them.

Y/n smiled and shook her head in amusement.

"Sure why no-" as y/n tried sitting up properly a pain ran up her back which caused her to cough rapidly. "Woah." Finn stood up and helped his wife settle back down.

"How about we let momma rest for tonight fifi." Finn fixed the pillows behind her and told his daughter. He saw how the 8 year olds face instantly went gloomy from seeing her mother so sick. "It's okay! We can play next time."

One more next time.

"Is momma okay?" She brought her brimful eyes over to her father. It seemed as though y/n was getting worse and worse each day.

"Yes, I'm okay dear." Y/n tiredly answered whilst her husband helped her lay down. "She just needs rest. Your uncle nick should be getting you soon." One thing they never allowed was Fiona spending the night in the hospital.

Incase anything were to happen, Finn and y/n didn't want that to be the last memory of her mother. Laying on a hospital bed, looking completely pale. With literally no life in her body.

That would be too much for an 8 year old. So during the day, more specifically after school, they would bring her over here. Just to spend whatever little remaining time they have left.

Meanwhile Finn? He was there full time. Refused to leave her alone especially through a time like this.

Until death do us part.

"But I don't want to go home!" The little girl whined. She hated this. Of course she was young but she wasn't clueless. She knew her dad didn't want her around at night. It happened way too much for her liking.

"Fifi, your uncle is on his way. Your mother needs her rest, you're going home." Finn packed up the game board and put it into his daughters bag.

"Momma, can I stay?" Fiona turned to the woman. Her eyes were already a bit heavy. She was feeling weaker than she did most nights, she tried to speak but all that came out were stutters.

"S-Sweetie, you h-have school-" another cough escaped her mouth startling Fiona more than usual. "Y/n save your energy, please honey." Finn begged as he checked the machines around him. Her heart rate was a little low which made his own heart sink.

"I'm gonna go talk to the doctor. Fifi let your mother sleep okay?" Fiona took a hold of y/n's hand and nodded towards her father. Before Finn left the room he made sure he kissed both of their foreheads.

Once Finn had left the room. It was just the two. It had been one of the first times finn had left the two together alone. Finn was normally stuck to y/n like glue.

So Fiona grew worried, and with that she climbed onto her mothers hospital bed and snuggled up to her. Y/n brought up her tired cold hand up and wrapped it around the smaller girl.

The little girl noticed the beanie on y/ns head was a little crooked so she tried her best to fix it. Ever since she got diagnosed with leukemia, everything changed.

Her beautiful head of hair fell down because of chemotherapy, the life in her face was drowned, like it was never even there to begin with. But what scared the father and daughter the most,

Was the weight loss, she had lost so much weight during her journey at battling cancer you could visibly see her cheekbones and her collarbones. Y/n looked unrecognizable.

"There you go, I fixed your beanie." Fiona said quietly, leaning back into her mothers chest. Y/n couldn't help but let out a little chuckle. "Thank you baby. I love you." She responded quietly. "I love you too momma."

A few minutes passed and it seemed like the beeps in the room were getting slower and slower. Fiona didn't know what it meant. But when Finn came back, he was fighting every urge inside of him to stay strong in front of his daughter. Where's nick. He thought.

Something about tonight was different, obviously.the air inside the hospital room was thin. Extremely thin, it felt like he couldn't breathe inside. Finn took small steps to his sleeping daughter and wife.

Slowly sitting down next to them. Finn laid his head on top of y/ns gently and rubbed up and down Fiona's shoulders. Her eyes slowly fluttered open slightly to see her father. Smiling softly at him before closing her eyes again and letting herself get lost in her own sleep.

All that was heard in the semi dimly lit room, were the heart rate monitors, the very little sounds of the city behind the windows and the slow breathing coming from his wife and child.

Finn felt a movement below him. He looked down to see y/ns weak hands onto his own. Grasping it as tightly as she could. When Finn looked at y/ns face, he saw her loved filled tired eyes staring back at him.

She smiled lightly at her husband and closed her eyes again. Finn didn't know that his face was stained with tears until he ran his own hand across his cheek.

He laid his head back onto her head and silence filled the room once again.. and within a few minutes, the beeping finally stopped.

War is over.

Finn tightly shut his eyes and brought his daughter closer to him. To see her smile has turned into a frown. She knew. Fiona woke up and buried her face into her fathers neck. "Goodbye momma." She whispered quietly.

One more next time.

——

A/n: I'm not crying you are.