part 22

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

I shielded my eyes from the gleaming chandeliers, which seemed brighter this time around. Women and their partners connected hands, the tips of their fingers fusing together as they prepared to put on a show.

Hawks distanced away, extending forth his hand and reaching far back at me. "Take my hand." he whispered, his bright smile melting my heart. Underneath my gown, my knees could be found trembling.

"Let's dance, together." he hushed, my head heating up like a kettle. I nodded my head, our cold fingers entwining, before I was suddenly pressed against his chest. The bridge of his nose inclined down into my hair, my arms instinctively wrapping around his neck.

"Is this your first time?" he asked, my feet skating across the floor, but not knowing where to go.

"Y-Yeah.." I couldn't breathe, and if I did, my nose would sting with the intoxicating scent of his cologne and sweat. The two of us were the most awkward on the floor, the symphonizing music had beats too fast for me to keep up with.

I stumbled over his expensive shoes, forcing Hawks to hold on tighter. He chuckled into my ear, his hot breath tickling down my exposed neck. Before anyone could notice our messy scene, he engulfed me within a vortex of vermilion feathers. "I'll teach you, then."

"Look at me." he commanded, pulling my waist closer with a flutter of his wings. And when I did, the smug grin drawn over his face was like nothing I had seen before. His pupils were feral, cat-like even. "First step, check!"

"Now, listen closely to the music." he hummed, the bulb of his pointed nose grazing against mine. Our lips were so close, if only I could reach up and connect them. "After that, just let it go."

"Move with the beat, and let your emotions take control." he smiled, ready to let go of our tightly clenched hands. But when he released, I immediately began to trip and fall. "Woah, woah!" he laughed at me, sweeping me back into his comforting arms.

"I guess not everyone nails it on their first try." he teased, making me scoff and lay my head back down upon his chest.

The music began to slow, transforming into a sensual melody. And with the music, came the people- who pulled their partners into warm embraces and waltzed underneath the spiraling chandeliers. Instead of me, I felt as if they were the background characters now.

Because all I could see was Hawks, in both the present and in my future. The towering ballroom began to shrink, my world closing in and only allowing space for two. Shining crystals became circles of blur, like in unfocused camera film.

I didn't pay attention to anyone else but him, and he returned the favor. His eyes were locked down onto me, our breaths synchronizing as I clung harder onto his tailored suit. "Is this better?" he asked, since the beats had slowed down and tempered.

It was easier to focus my steps, repeating the same pattern of sways. "I can't dance." I giggled softly, refusing to look up at his intimidating glare.

"I don't mind." Hawks responded, his folded wings relaxing out and helping us hover slightly above the air. "As long as you're having fun."

He tightened his grip around my waist, pulling me closer. The impact of his body against mine forced my eyes up, his nose barely scraping against mine. I hadn't noticed how close we were. "You don't have to be so rough, though." I whispered.

The medieval harmonies swelled, enough to deafen my ears. Hawks swirled his feathers around my body, keeping me close to him with the tranquilizing touch. With his free hands, he trailed them up my curvy sides and caressed over my chin with the delicate tips of his fingers.

"And your hands are supposed to stay on my waist-"

"Oh, really? So now, you're the expert?" he winked at me, my eyelashes fluttering as our dress shoes tapped against the polished marble floor. "Besides, I think they like being up here just as much."

I couldn't hit him with any smart remarks, he had left me speechless. Hawks laughed through his gritted teeth, his golden eyes staring right through my core. I felt my heart skip beats, the rapid thumping probably radiating over the surface of his chest.

"Try to keep up with me." he mumbled into my ear canal, a sudden arch in my back forming as I froze. Hawks summoned a whirlwind of his red feathers, creating a show as he held me closer. "Ready?"

"Y-Yeah.. Ready." I responded, tightening my grasp around Hawks.

I felt the vibrations of the orchestra's alluring opera swimming throughout the air, attaching strings of gold onto my wrists and carrying me through the magnificent ballroom like a graceful marionette.

We used to be mere parts of the background, a weird piece of the puzzle that didn't seem to fit in with anyone else. But now, we were the centerpiece. I didn't bother glancing at the zoned crowd, I made sure to keep my eyes on him.

The other dancers began to clear, pro heroes and famous celebrities far too mesmerized by our synchronized movements. They couldn't focus on their own, standing lost in the position as they forgot all previous pattern steps.

We were the stars of the show, a spacious circle forming around us as Hawks took over. He was light on his feet, but still- I couldn't take my eyes off him. The crowds' attention was the least of my concern, because right now, it was just the two of us.

"Careful now, (Y/N)." his voice was different, a hypnotizing melody that nearly made me fall onto my knees. "Don't stare too deep into my eyes, otherwise you might fall in love."

"You wish." I chuckled softly.

"You're right." he spun me around and had me tipping on my toes. Before I could fall, Hawks swiftly caught me within his arms. But then it happened again, that miracle I had been hoping to experience.

Hawks let his guard down, his hidden thoughts travelling to my head like a mother's calming lullaby. The words had enough power to shock me awake, my sleepy feelings dispersing into thin air.

"I wish."

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

AN; ARE YALL SEEING THIS RIGHT

OH MY GOD I CSNT STOP GRINNING THIS IS THE BEST PART SO FAR AHAHAHAH

credit to: Polucheart on Twitter
words: 1087

credit to: Polucheart on Twitterwords: 1087