valentines

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

The uncertain rustling of sheer, dusty curtains filled me with excitement, as I stared aimlessly at him. Keigo curled the tips of his honey-blonde hair, shaping them into coiled drills. Puffed and combed, rocking the messy style.

Rattling glass dishes and clacking heels played behind our booth, echoing off of the diner walls. Caution marked puddles of spilt coffee and tumbled biscuits marked the tiled floor, waiters and waitresses rushing to clean.

I glared down the pro, watching how a mischievous smirk painted across his radiant cheeks. The blinding sunrays illuminated up the side of his face, creating a natural shroud that accentuated the surrounding shadows.

"So, whatcha' gonna get?" Keigo chuckled under his heavy breath, before trying to scratch the inner corners of his eye, without messing up that iconic, liquid liner. I heard a series of groans then erupt from his throat.

"Personally, I think I'm gonna go for a burger. Oh, oh! And maybe a shake too?" he pondered, flipping the plastic pages of the well-done menu. The sharp edges slipped through the space between his fingertips.

I sank my cheek into my right palm, grinning down at the unnoticeable chips in the wood. Fumbling my thumbs and crossing my calves, I curled my toes inside of the heads of my comfortable sneakers.

"You know what?" I glanced to the side, eyeing other customers that were gladly digging into their silver platters. "I'll go with that too! So, two burgers." I flashed Keigo a smile, instantly turning his cheeks sour.

"G-Great." he rubbed the back of his head and mumbled, pursing his soft lips awkwardly and trying not to make direct eye contact. "Are you going to get a shake, too? It's a set, y'know!" Keigo asked, laughing off the blush.

Instead of a fancy dinner like Paris, Keigo had taken me to a corner diner. Dressed in retro turquoise and lavender, even the worker uniforms resembled something on the likes of a dramatized movie scene.

Savory aromas of hashed potatoes and frying sausage infiltrated my nostrils, only making my stomach grow hungrier as the seconds passed. Underneath the jazzy jukebox and static pop, I could hear its increasing growls.

Loudly clanking silverware and scraping forks only added to the atmosphere, and there was occasionally a crying toddler or two. I nodded my head, responding to Keigo's question. And immediately after, he called for a waiter.

"Waiter, waiter!" he flailed his hands, fluttering the tips of his folded, vermilion wings. "We're ready to order." he smiled brightly, showing off his pearly teeth. Knowing Keigo, I bet he was never yelled at to floss.

And here came a prancing waiter, skipping over with their notebook covered in pencil scribbles. "Alrighty, then! What would you two like to order?" they had confident body posture, proudly representing their workplace and ethic.

"Definitely two of the combo sets." Keigo made easy conversation, even tilting his head to add to the small talk. "Does it really look like that? Cause, man.. That looks delicious!" his words sent the waiter into hysterical laughter.

"Hah, we sure do try our hardest." they bobbed their head down for a moment, our orders already written down on that miniature, notebook page. "I bet you two will love it, though!" their voice was filled with excitement.