part 66

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

If someone asked me, "Where do you think you're going to be in a few years?" throughout my school days, I probably would've answered along the lines of.

"I'm gonna become a pro hero, duh!" or some crap, but none of that related to where I stood now. My feet dangled hundreds of meters into the sky, hanging by the mere clutch of the iron tower.

The shadow of feathers soared free and high from behind me, gusting all the dust into my hair. I covered my mouth and eyes, but my palms were like fluttering snowflakes. They were were cold to the touch, so very cold.

Twinkling lights from faraway office buildings and streaking colors of red and blue blinded me, even from up here. I wrapped my arms around my knees, clutching them close to my beating heart. I relied on the warmth of my breath to keep me stable.

"Never thought I'd find you up here." Keigo mumbled, his regrown vermilion wings stretching out past the horizon. My eyes didn't bother glancing back, nor did they even steal a peek. I just stared and stared, down at the crowded streets below.

The fluffy blanket that I had dragged up from our bed began to float through the air, swimming like an angelfish in the sea. It gently fell over my shoulders, the stitched tips scraping against the ground and just barely covering me.

I closed my stinging lids, burrowing the tip of my nose between the space of my knees. But once I looked up, a set of golden eyes glowed fiercely in front of me. He hit me with a smile, a look so heartfelt and genuine it could make one cry.

"Keigo." I whispered to him, my lips chapped and bloody. He lightly scrunched my hair within his palm, gently caressing the back of my head. As his hand cupped my cheek, I tilted my head to the side and closed my eyes, resting it against his touch.

"(Y/N)." he responded, grazing over my skin with his thumb. "You know, it looks pretty lonely up here. Mind if I join you?"

"I wouldn't mind some company." I giggled for a second, watching as the pro hero then got seated right beside me. The tips of his subtle feathers curled around my side, his heavy head sulking onto my shoulder.

"I guess I just came out here for a breather, I don't know." I smiled, looking him deep in the eye. It was easy to get lost in them, the dazzling appearance of liquid gold always seemed to catch me off-guard.

"I felt that, more than you could ever imagine." he leaned back, pointing his eyes up at the stars. They were a diamond ocean, sparkling down on us from far, far away. "We all need breathers sometimes."

I fixed my posture instantly, a worried look on my face as my words spilled out. "Wait, is Aki asleep?! Did you put him to bed?" my knees jittered, shaking nervously.

"Woah, woah! Settle down, now." he laid my head down in his lap, combing his loving fingers through my hair. "There's nothing you need to worry about, beautiful. The kid's asleep." he hushed, instantly calming me down.

I looked out into the vast concrete jungle, the urge to reach my hand out pursuing its way through my heart. Sparks flew between the areas where Keigo and I's skin touched, like electricity that had been sent down my spine.

He peeled open his eyes, covering my shoulders more with the stolen blanket. "All those lives, it's crazy, huh?" even he seemed to be at awe, his gaze focused on the slight glimpses of civilians and late-hour workers.

I grinned and nodded my head, Keigo's thigh proving to be a fairly good pillow. "Are you sure crazy is the right word for it?" I pondered, entwining my fingers with his. He rocked our locked hands, swaying them back and forth.

"Then what would you call it?" he fluttered his eyelashes closed, humming under his breath, but taking pauses whenever he needed to speak. "Or, actually! You'd probably call it cool, yeah?"

"You know me too well." I flipped over and looked beneath his chin, the corners of my mouth curving upwards as if it were the only thing they could do. "I don't even know why I'm out here. It's cold, and I would much rather be snuggled up in bed."

"I guess I'm just tired, exhausted. Aki is seriously wearing me out." Keigo looked at me with a certain eye once I said that, like he was amused by something. "What? The kid starts stomping throughout the hallways at like five in the morning!"

"Really?" Keigo laughed, and it was true. He was always fast asleep whenever it happened, snoring away. "But you're an amazing mother, y'know that?"

"Way better than mine." and then it was silent, an awkward pause between our words. Keigo never touched up on his past, but that was probably because he didn't want to relive those memories. And besides, I never bothered to ask, or at least not until now.

But I didn't need to, because he began to ramble on. "She wasn't the worst, but was she perfect? Definitely not." I listened closely, savoring every word that left his lips. "I didn't have a good relationship with my parents."

"My mother was an alcoholic, and my father?-" he gulped.

"You don't have to say it." I interrupted, reaching my hand up towards his cheek and wiping away the forming tear on his waterline. "Nobody should have to go through that." I whispered, dazing off at the sight of the pro hero.

"But I'm ready, (Y/N). Ready to tell you everything." he continued, nearly making me gasp for air. I nodded my head in agreement, his eyes locking down with mine.

"Okay, then. Tell me everything, Keigo." I said.

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

AN; to commemorate chap. 299 :)

SPOILERS AHEAD

am i the only one happy that all theories of dabihawks got debunked.. i don't know i wasn't feelin it :(

credit: Kohei Horikoshi
words: 1024