part 20

«─────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ───────»

I walked into the event ballroom and caught my breath, spaces like this had only existed in fictional movies. I'd never seen anything like it, nor have I ever felt so small- or minimal. Golden chandeliers spiraled down from the arching tiered ceiling, illuminating the marble castle with grand spotlights.

Pro heroes and famous celebrities crowded the dancefloor, dressed in princess dresses and designer suits. A part of me even felt awkward, uncomfortable within this territory of wealth. Chattering voices and blaring music blasted my ear canals, I guess the waltz session hadn't started yet.

My vision began to blur, shades of emerald and ruby swirling, as Hawks and I excused our way through the tight gathering of people. They made paths for us, like we were the MVP's of the event. I clung tightly onto Hawks' arm, his smile sending rushes of excitement to surrounding fangirls.

Thankfully my gown was long, or else everyone would be able to see my trembling knees. My words stuttered, all of the oxygen in my lungs had been robbed when we ventured in. "I didn't even know places like this existed in Tokyo.."

Hawks folded his vermilion wings, chuckling at my gasping remark. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" he asked, waving his hands like royalty, greeting every other guest. I nodded my head, trying to face the crowd with a confident smile.

"Wow, Hawks!"

"Oh, my god! He looks so handsome!"

"I think I'm going to faint!"

I scoffed quietly, rolling my eyes to the side as I ignored the loudly yapping dogs. Hawks loved the attention, sending winks to the girls, melting their rapidly thumping hearts in an instant. "Hey! Let's not get too greedy, now."

They pulled him away, tearing him from my body and dragging him off into the distance. Hawks glanced back at me, a superficial grin painted over his face, as he yelled. "Don't have too much fun without me, (Y/N)!"

Nodding my head slowly, the path cleared for us then began to disappear. I fit in with the crowd, the other guests camouflaging me and sending me back to where I belonged, not in the spotlight. My arms were still stuck in that same position, when he was still by my side.

So I put them down, fixing the lacey fabric on my dress. Looking around, I tried to see if I could recognize anyone, maybe even a friendly face. But there was no one, because without Hawks, I was alone.

It was too late, I had already lost ahold of him. "Where did he go?" I thought to myself, trying to stand on my tippy-toes as I scanned the crowd. I prepared myself for hours, fixing my hair and dolling up just for him. Yet now, he was nowhere to be seen, unable to notice how much effort I put in.

After wandering for a few minutes, I caught a man with a familiar shade of honey-blonde hair. Using my very fingertips to pick up each side of my dress, I ran like a damsel in distress towards the man's silhouette. "Hawks?!" I yelled at my head, my lips never forming the actual words.

But when the man turned around, he was no more than a common grandpa. He smiled at me, his remaining eyebrows curving upwards. Though he eventually excused himself, putting up his hand and walking right past me to another woman in the crowd.

"There's gotta be an end to this room somewhere." I thought to myself, pushing as far as I could, while desperately trying to make it past the bundled crowd. "But where is it?" I pouted.

"Don't have too much fun without me?" I groaned at his bugging words, even suppressing a few surges of sadness that nearly pushed me over the verge of tears. "More like, try to have fun without me."

I sat down upon a corner bench, my palms cupping the left side of my face as I zoned out into the crowd. No matter how far I would extend my leg, this huge vintage dress seemed to hide everything. "You're so pathetic." was all I could repeat to myself, but then again, these events were never exactly my thing.

That's when another lady came to sit beside me, dressed in a gentle pink, and fairly young too. She did the same thing as me, pouting her soft lips and slouching back with her head laying heavily inside of her hand. "Hmph." she whispered, but I could hear every word she mumbled.

"How could he just ditch me like that?!"

"What a jerk!"

"And I look so pretty, too."

Those were her thoughts, so I guessed that she went through the same thing as me. I wasn't exactly ditched, no- nothing like that. Though, I felt like I could relate to her in some way. She made the first move, tapping my shoulders and catching my attention before I could.

"Hi!" she greeted, putting on her best smile, but I knew it was fake.

"Hey." I spoke softly, watching as she scooted closer to me.

"You look kind of, sad. Is everything okay? Did a boy hurt your feelings?" she asked, her blushed nose standing out as the centerpiece of her makeup.

"Somewhat, but he didn't mean to." I responded, the young lady standing up in front of my eyes and fixing her sweet dress.

"What's your name?" she asked, reaching her motherly hand towards me.

I grabbed on, standing up afterwards and fluffing my gown. "(Y/N)."

"Well, (Y/N)! I think the two of us need a drink." she spoke in a bubbly voice, to which I nodded my head in agreement. We scraped by the edges of the room, eventually coming across the drink stand which we both desperately needed beverages from.

Even from back here, I could recognize the stereotypical drinks they had to offer. Fruit punch and wine, though I wasn't mad about those two choices. I turned around, ready to thank the kind lady, but she was already backing off into the crowd. "Hey, wait!"

"I didn't get your name!" I yelled out, but I don't think she was able to hear me, the chatter surrounding this area was overwhelmingly loud. "Aww, man." I complained, my voice failing to win over the constant voices.

And to my great surprise, Hawks was there when I turned around. Conversing near the bar, a crystal glass of juice held tightly within the grasp of his hand. But he wasn't alone, instead blatantly flirting with the same group of girls from before.

"Huh?"

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

AN; writing this made me so sad :(

credit to: stray_ashes on Twitter
words: 1116