𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖿𝗂𝖿𝗍𝗒 𝗈𝗇𝖾

You had to crane your neck up to look at the top of the giant building. It was one of the tallest on the block, but not tall enough to be considered a skyscraper yet. The gleaming silver letters mounted on the outside read simply, "V”. Taehyung had told you he wanted to name his future company after the word “victory”, saying he couldn’t fail if he had confidence.

Windows spanned most of the outside, all except for the first floor, which was set with black granite tiles, reflecting the late-afternoon sun. Two large glass doors stood before you, tinted enough so that you could hardly see inside.

You swallowed thickly and gripped the strap of your bag. The boys would do everything to stop you if they knew that you were here to see Taehyung, so you told them you were doing a piece on an owl café on the other side of town and they couldn’t come with you for … work purposes … Luckily, they bought it. At 3 o’clock sharp, you left your home and hopped onto the train that would take you to the upscale district of town where Tae’s company was built. And now at 3:30, you were standing right outside, feeling your heart constricting in your chest.

Your colleague sent you some questions that had been approved by your boss, and you had written a few of your own, doing your best not to make things personal. You wanted Taehyung to know that this was strictly business and had nothing to do with the relationship you used to have. A way of expressing this sentiment was the outfit you chose: a black skirt that reached your knees and a plain, loose-fitting white blouse that made it obvious you weren’t here for fun. You were going to get this interview over with and head back home with your head held high and the knowledge you didn’t give into him.

Straightening your back, you took the last few steps to the door and pushed it open, the slick, shiny hinges not even making the tiniest noise. Nothing made noise in the polished building. The lobby was decorated with dark walls, black tile floors, black leather furniture, and silver trimmings. It was nothing but upscale and professional. Across the room from the front door, a middle-aged woman with immaculately pinned black hair and sharp features typed away at her computer.

When you had opened the door, she looked up at you without raising her head. She quirked her eyebrow questioningly when you remained unmoving in the doorway. You swallowed the frog in your throat and started towards the woman, wincing when your heels clicked loudly on the tile floor.

She lifted her head further and placed a stiff smile on her face, one that didn’t reach her eyes. "May I ask you what business you have with V?"

You pressed your lips together before nodding slightly. "Yes, uh, I’m from the journal, Busan and Beyond,” – God, how you hated that name – “I’m here for an interview with Taehy-uh, Kim Sajang-nim."

The woman narrowed her eyes and cocked her head, a suspicious glint in her gaze. "May I ask your name?" her voice was taut.

She must have thought you were trying to sneak into the company by dropping Taehyung's name. "My name is –"

"Y/N-ah!"

You yelped embarrassingly loud and turned sharply to face the owner of the baritone voice. You were ashamed to say that your heart skipped a beat when your eyes landed on the man walking towards you.

It was impossible for Taehyung to stand out any more than he did with his bright red suit against the black backdrop. The viciously scarlet suit matched his immaculately-styled red hair, paired with a black V-neck shirt beneath the jacket. You didn’t think anyone but him could ever pull off something so outrageous – but Taehyung had always the epitome of the word itself.

Seeing him in front of you made your heart skip a beat. It still didn’t seem real that you were meeting up with Kim Taehyung, someone you’d spent the last six years avoiding like the plague. It felt so wrong to see him. It felt like the last six years had all been for nothing, and his very presence was a warning that you could never escape from him. He looked so different, but still the same after all this time – his boxy smile could never change, no matter how much he grew. It still drew you in, made you want to run to him and cuddle up next to him like you used to. But you knew you couldn’t do that anymore.