𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗈𝗇𝖾 𝗁𝗎𝗇𝖽𝗋𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗋𝗍𝗒 𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾

Chapter 16: Tea Time

Taehyung steps out of his car across the street from the school. His arms once again loaded with flowers, this time, a few pink roses appear inside the mixed bouquet. He straightens his jacket, and swallows hard. His nerves are on edge but he's also filled with excitement. He's ready for this visit, and to see her again.

He crosses the street to stand at the front door, ringing the bell with no hesitation. He listens as Mrs. Lee works her way toward the door slowly. He can make out the sound of her cane on the tile floor. He straightens up as the door is opened. She smiles up at him.

"Mr. Kim, it's very nice to see you again. The flowers are lovely, you've been so kind. Thank you for sending the contractor." She steps aside to allow him to enter. He looks at her surprised as he steps into the hallway.

"Oh, have they been in touch already?"

"Oh yes, he came by earlier to double check the list Mr. Park made. I'm worried it will be a lot of work and expense." She leads him down the hall toward her office.

"Please don't worry about it. It's no trouble." She takes a seat at her desk. He stands in the doorway holding the flowers.

"I'll just go put these in some water. I know where the kitchen is." He smiles. She chuckles a little.

"Would you like to give them to Miss Wright personally?" She asks. He looks back at her surprised. Mrs. Lee gives him a knowing smile as she watches him blush. He stalls in the doorway unsure how to go on.

"Have I been that obvious?" he asks in a low, quiet voice. She smiles at him warmly.

"Oh dear, I've been around a long time and I recognize love when I see it." He sits down across from her feeling like he can finally be honest, finally speak to someone who knows her. He looks up at her, grinning shyly.

"I really do want to help the school and the children." She nods.

"I believe that. You're a good man Mr. Kim." She watches him. "Does she know how you feel?" He looks up at her surprised.

"No. She doesn't even know who I am." His face drops. "And, she's involved with someone already." He looks down.

"Is she? Not that I'm aware of." He looks up at her stunned, hopeful. "Why don't you pop in to her room and take her the flowers, I mentioned you would be coming by." He smiles.

"Thank you Mrs. Lee, you've been very kind." He stands quickly. Straightening his jacket again nervously. She chuckles at him.

"You look very nice, perfectly dressed for tea time." He smiles and nods as he backs out of her office and looks down the long hallway toward her classroom door.

He steps up to the door and looks in the window. No one is in the room. He pushes the door open carefully, looking around. He wonders where the children are, where she is. He hears laughing from outside and he follows the sound to a back door which is slightly open.

He looks out the doorway and sees a group of children running in the garden area, laughing and playing. He steps through the door and he can see a long table set with a cloth, little china plates and teacups. She sits at the table on a small chair and watches her children as she sips from her teacup. Her hair is pinned up and he can see the curve of her long neck as it disappears under a top decorated with little pink roses. He smiles broadly, his heart opening wide to her.

He walks up to the table and stands behind her, looking down at her as she watches the children. A few strands of her hair have fallen loose, and trail down her neck in the breeze of the warm afternoon. As he stares, mesmerized by the sight of her smooth bare skin, he wishes he could reach out and touch her. Almost as though she has sensed his presence, she slowly turns her head up toward him. She lifts her hand to shield her eyes from the bright sunlight as she recognizes him.

"Mr. Kim," she smiles, startling him out of his trance. "Mrs. Lee said you would be visiting today. Please, you're welcome to have a seat." She indicates toward a low chair at her side. He smiles at her and carefully takes a seat, balancing his weight on the little chair.

"Please, call me Taehyung." She regards him curiously.

"I see you brought more flowers for the children to arrange." He hands them to her and she looks them over, allowing herself to drink in their perfume. Her eyes meet his across the blossoms. "You've been very kind to the school." He blushes a little, she doesn't know all of his reasons. "Did you see the flowers in the classroom? Every shelf and table are decorated with a little vase of flowers now," she chuckles as she pictures it. "I may need to share these with the other class." She looks down at the bouquet and whispers "but I may just take a few of these pink roses for myself." He smiles at the connection to the flowers he chose specifically for her.

"I hope you do," he tells her. She looks up at him curiously.

"Can you stay for tea?" She sets the bouquet aside on the table and picks up a teapot with a pretty floral design. Taehyung nods.

"I would like that very much." She pours a cup for him and turns to speak to a child who has stepped up to her. She whispers in the child's ear before she runs off to join her friends.

"Honey?" she offers. He chuckles to himself, fighting the urge to say 'yes dear' and nods as she takes a spoonful out of the little jar. He watches her carefully preparing his tea before handing the cup and saucer over to him.

"I'm surprised you use this delicate China for the children," he mentions.

"It's important to show children the same respect you show to adults. I would only set out the best China for any guest visiting my home and I want the children to feel that same honor and love." She refills her own cup, adding honey and lifts the cup to her lips. He watches her closely, appreciating her words but wanting so badly to scoop her up into his arms and hold her tightly. Another little child comes to the table at her side and smiles at him.

"May I have more tea Miss Wright?" The little voice asks, taking a seat next to her. She nods.

"Yes of course Chinsun." She pours a cup for the child who sits staring at him. He smiles in a friendly way at the child.

"You are so comfortable with the children, I can tell that they really love you." He marvels at her. She smiles.

"I've always loved children. But there is something very special about this little school, this little neighborhood." He sets his teacup down onto a saucer, leaving his hand close to hers on the table. He looks at their hands in close proximity, and he wishes he could touch hers. He looks up and meets the eyes of the little girl across from him. She is still staring at him.

"I know who you are," the girl says plainly. Miss Wright looks at her surprised. He blushes a little unsure what to say back.

"Chinsun, this is Mr. Kim, he brought us flowers yesterday, for arranging," she tells the girl. The girl shakes her head 'no' as she looks at him, a little panic rises in his chest.

"No. My sister has pictures of you on the wall in her room," she replies. His face drops. Miss Wright chuckles at the absurdity of the idea.