𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖿𝗈𝗎𝗋𝗍𝗒 𝗍𝗁𝗋𝖾𝖾

The day that Taehyung first dyed his hair, it felt like his change had been solidified, and you still remembered the sinking feeling in your gut. It was sometime in the middle of your second year of high school after a long weekend.

You had overslept and were practically sprinting to your classroom when your shoulder struck another’s. The both of you stumbleed, you almost falling flat on your face. While you kept yourself off the floor, the books you were clutching against your chest weren’t so lucky, scattering helter-skelter at your feet.

“Ah, ah! I’m so sorry!” you stuttered out nervously, waist bending at a ninety-degree angle. “I wasn’t looking wh-where I –”

“Y/N,” the stranger’s deep voice rumbled with amusement.

Your eyes shot up to the boy’s, straightening up from your bow. Pure shock registered on your face making your eyebrows vanish behind your fringe. “Taehyung?!”

Taehyung had changed overnight; his previously black hair had been bleached and dyed a peachy orange and cut in a stylish manner bisecting his forehead. New piercings glittered in his ears and the silver accessories somehow made his angular jaw look somehow sharper. The way his fringe brushed his eyebrows and the smoky makeup around the corners of his eyes made his chocolate-colored orbs only that much more intense.

“What? …”

Taehyung smirked and struck a pose, hand resting on his popped hip. “You like it?” He pursed his lips and winked dramatically.

A disbelieving laugh puffed from your mouth. “W-when did you do this?”

“Two days ago. Sunmi-noona and Minho-hyung did it.” He ran his hand through his freshly dyed locks. You tried your best to remember which of his many friends he was talking about. If they were who you thought they were, you thought you liked them (which was rare, considering most of his friends were usually stuck-up and rude). “They thought I could use a change. But, Kibum-hyung said it makes me look like an alien.”

“No, i-it looks good,” you smiled, though your throat felt like it was filled with cotton. His new look was different – still beautiful, but different.

He had always been so handsome, even before the makeover. Every look from beneath his midnight-black fringe made your heart flutter. You loved how the soft, dark hair brushed just below his perfect eyebrows, which were also dyed slightly. His long fingers were constantly sweeping it out of his eyes and he always accompanied the action with the sweetest smile.

He had to raise both hands to separate his peachy bangs. It no longer had the same effect, even though his bright smile remained the same.

“I knew you’d like it,” he chuckled, ruffling your hair. His laugh was contagious, so you couldn't resist going along with it. This only made his smile wider. “Hey, I’m meeting up with them again tonight at a club downtown with some of the others. You wanna join us?”

The thought of meeting with Taehyung’s new, popular friends made you nervous. You'd always been practically invisible to his group, making you feel smaller than you already did. But then you remembered that he agreed to hang out at your house tonight and watch the finale of your favorite drama together. When you reminded him of this, he sighed.

“Ah, that’s right.” He rubbed the nape of his neck. “Well, they already bought the tickets to the club – it’s pretty exclusive … You mind if I take a rain-check?”

Of course, I mind! This has been planned for weeks!

“Not at all,” you lied.

His boxy smile stretched across his face, eyes crinkling and disappearing in his doughy cheeks. “Thank you, Y/N-ah!” he wraps you up in a tight hug and pats your head. Your tense and awkward anger at his rejection is somewhat quelled when his warmth engulfs you. “You’re the best! I gotta get to class, though. Shame we’re not together this year. See you tomorrow?”