F O U R T Y F O U R

44 | Even though he did try to kill me

"So. . . Elena told me about last night." Caroline said looking down at her shake that was in her hand.

I nodded and took a sip of my milkshake. "If it makes you feel any better you still have my vote," she jokes trying to ease the tension. "Ok anyways so, are you coming to the funeral?"

I looked up snapping from my daze. "Am I going where? What funeral?"

She gave me a look that made me remember. I made a 'o' sound and nodded my head. "Yeah I guess. Ever though he did try to kill me I'll let it slide. I wonder how April's doing," I said thinking about the black haired girl who had lost her father.

"Good, and me too. Poor girl." Caroline frowned sipping the last of her milkshake.

"Well it starts soon. We should get ready." I said standing up waiting for Caroline to follow behind me.

"I'll meet you at your house with my outfit. Don't get ready before I get there." she said pointing her finger at me before looking to see if anyone was watching and sped out the door.

I laughed and sped back to my house rummaging through my closet. I pulled out a black thigh high dress. "This should do." I said and laid it out on my bed.

"Ok, let's get started." Caroline sang from behind me causing me to let out a yelp and drop my phone on my bed.

"Heh, sorry," she said as I picked up my phone with a smile.

"It's fine." I plugged it bag into the charger.

I stripped out of my clothes, putting on my dress. It wasnt anything weird for us to dress in-front of each other. We've been friends since we where babies.

"Wow, if you weren't soul-mated to a murderous hybrid I'd smash." She smirked and playfully look me up and down.

"He doesn't have to know," I whispered and playfully kissed her hand. She laughed and pushed me down to a chair and grabbed our a curling iron. Once she was done, she carefully brushed through them.

"Your turn." I said hopping up as Caroline sat down. "Hmm," I said playing with Caroline's hair before getting the perfect idea. I straightened it, and let's say I fell in love with her.

"Done." I said putting my brush on my dresser.

"This looks amazing!" Caroline smiled before looking at the time. "We're hot. Oh, look at the time. We should get going." We grabbed our things and headed to my car.

We arrived not to late and went inside and took a seat besides Elena and Damon.

"Do you smell that? Is that blood?" I whispered to Caroline as she carefully looked around the room before whispering back. "Yes."

Carol came up to the podium and spoke.

She was mumbling something about April. "Does anyone else want to come up and say a few words?" She asked the crowd.

Elena stood up slowly and hesitantly.

"Come on up, Elena." Carol spoke slowly.

Elena walked up there containing herself the best she could. I could tell she was in pain.

"I—Uh, when I talked to April earlier she was kind of nervous about coming up to speak, and. . . now that I'm up here I'm kinda nervous too. The worst day in loving someone is the day that you lose them." Elena said.

The smell of blood became quite stronger than earlier. Elena's body shook and she grasped onto the podium tightly, her knuckles turning white.

"You smell that, it got stronger." Caroline said getting worried. Her hands were tapping her thighs.

"Blood." Tyler said looking towards Caroline.

"Nobody move. Don't turn around." Damon said slowly and carefully. Elena started mumbling when Stefan came up to the stage and got her. He walked her back to there original seat.

The priest said something that made us all stand. I stood up following Caroline's actions. The crowd starting singing as Elena was whimpering and whispering to Stefan. I turned to face Elena and saw she was backing away from Matt and had a little dabble of blood on her lips.

"Did she just. . . ?" I asked Caroline.

"Yes she did." Caroline said smiling at her friends control.

Tyler got up and went the stage stopping the music from playing. "Excuse me, I just wanted to say a few words about paster young. Back in first grade I was a brat who couldn't be bothered with team sport, didn't care much about anything that didn't affect me." Tyler started. "But he was the one who made me understand how important is to be part of a team; A community. Giving yourself up for the sake of—" Tyler went to finish but got shot.

Everyone started screaming and rushing to get out of the church. Elena, Caroline, and myself rushed up to Tyler.

Stefan appeared shortly behind us.

Caroline ripped the little stake out of Tyler's chest as he got up gasping. "I'm gonna kill that bastard!" Tyler's face scrunched up.

"Damon's way ahead of you. Stay here, I have to help him." Stefan said.

"I have to call an ambulance!" The mayor said looking down at her son thanking everything he wasn't dead or seriously harmed.

"No, he's fine." Caroline argued looking down at her boyfriend.

"The whole town watched him get shot Caroline. Just call them and compel them or something." I tried to reason with her.

"Elena?" Caroline called out softly as she realized she wasn't anywhere to be seen. "Where did she go?" Caroline asked looking at me. I shrugged before responding;

"I didn't see her leave."

Caroline looked up to see Elena at the top balcony part of the church. "Elena?" I whispered before Caroline sped up there leaving Tyler with me.

"Um Nora, I'm really sorry about the whole hybrid thing." He said laying on the ground. I laughed and turned to him.

"That was forever ago Tyler. I forgive you and let's not forget you where Klaus 'little bitch' so we're good. Besides, I like me better like this. It's not all that bad. Would've been worse if I was sired to the asshole." I shrugged.

"Ok, just wanted to let you know. You should go home and get some rest." I turned to Tyler and smiled. "I'll tell Caroline and Elena you went home." I thanked him and sped out and towards my house.