F I F T Y T H R E E

53 | Bring it on

"Tell him I'll give him a head start before killing him." Klaus' voice made Caroline reappear.

"That's not what I said." I glared at him from the couch. "I told you not to kill him at all."

"Love, you can't seriously except me to let him live after what he's done." He raised up a hand, pointing to the door where Caroline was leaning against.

"I can. It's called self-control. Revenge, no matter how sweet it may be, isn't always the answer. What's killing him going to do? Nothing. If you kill him, I will never speak to you again, no matter how much it rips me apart." She looked him in the eye, as if challenging him.

"I— fine." He glared at Caroline. "Tell the little wolf he's free, but that only stands as long as he doesn't cross me again."

She nodded her head and mouthed a thank you towards me. I sighed and threw my head back against the arm of the couch, letting my hair completely cover my face.

———

"The barriers down." Klaus put his hand through where the barrier was supposed to be. I watched as his hand went through.

"Thank god." I stood up, stretching. I walked out with Klaus at my side and Caroline was sat at the swing, crying slightly.

"Yeah, have fun with that." I elbowed him in his side and watched as he sped away. I walked over to Caroline and sat into the seat next to her, pulling her against me.

"What's wrong?"

"Tyler." She sniffled. "He still decided to leave. He decided to leave me."

"I'm so sorry Caroline. He's doesn't deserve you, you're sweet, and pretty, and smart, and one hell of a badass vampire. If he decided to leave that, then well, he's just plain pathetic." She pulled at the rips in my jeans as I talked.

She nodded and laugh, sitting up straight. "You're right. I'm just as pathetic, aren't I? I'm crying over him. I'm a badass vampire and I don't cry over men." She turned her head towards me. "And that won't start until at least tomorrow."

I laughed a little.

"I should get home." She hugged me, and she held onto me tightly. "Thank you, for everything. I love you so much."

"I love you more, Care bear."

———

I had a strong urge to call Elena and yell at her for what she had down. Killed Kol, and left me trapped in there. I decided against it, no matter how much I wanted too.

I walked to my fridge and pulled out a blood bag and sipped on it while I made myself pancakes. Once I was done, and transferred the pancake to a plate, there was a knock on the door.

Standing behind the door was Elena. I scoffed and shut the door. Or at least, I tried. She placed her hand on the door, stopping me from closing it all the way.

"Look I know your mad at me—"

I laughed. "More than mad. Believe me I am furious with you."

"Jermey is dead." She let out bluntly. I stopped thinking of all I wanted to say to her and looked at her. "Just wanted to let you know." She shrugged and sped away. Something wasn't right. Her eyes, they were blank.

I let out a noise I wasn't too sure wether it was a cry or something else completely. I closed the door. I didn't know how to react. Jeremy, sweet, Jeremy was gone. I slide down onto the floor and brought my knees to my chest, letting my head fall onto my knees.

I picked my head up and placed it against the door and my hand came up to my mouth to muffle the cries that left my body. How many people that I love are going to die?

He was the only blood related family I had left. Yes, I had Elena, but she wasn't actually blood-related to me, and now the only person that was, was gone. And I didn't know what else to do but cry, because no matter how many friends I still had left, I felt alone.

———

I didn't realize how much time had passed since I was on the floor. But once I head a knock, I looked up for the first time and saw through my living room window how dark it was outside.

I opened it. A part of me was hoping it was Elena so I could yell at her for seeming so careless, so emotionless. But it wasn't. It was Caroline.

"Elena shut switched off her humanity and then burned your house down." She didn't know how else to give the news.

I started crying again. "That bitch!" I wiped the tears from under my eyes with my shirt sleeve. Caroline walked inside and closed the door behind her, locking it and grabbed me gently.

She lead me towards my bedroom and lifted up the covers for me. She got in after me and held me against her just like she used to do when we were younger. She'd coddle me like a mother should her child and let me rant about all my problems without judging.

She never judged me, but I couldn't say the same about other people.

She held me while I cried. How could Elena do that? My childhood home was gone. All those memories were gone. We would never get them back, along with family items we had tucked away in the attic. I was glad I had moved all my things out before they went up in flames as well.

———

I woke up the next morning to a sweet smell. I walked out and Caroline was making breakfast. "Sit down." She ordered with her bubbly smile. I sat at the island and she gave me a perfectly made omelette. She poured me a glass of orange juice and passed it over to me.

"Your favorite." She winked at me causing me to laugh. She sat next to me. She talked about random things, I knew it was so my mind didn't wander, but she wouldn't admit that.

"So I'm taking there's no funeral for Jer? Since she fucking burned him?" I grasped onto my fork tighter than I meant to.

Caroline shook her head. I nodded and went back to my food. "But we can have our own little funeral if you want? Say some things in his memories."

"That would be nice."

———

I stood outside Klaus' house. I let out a sigh and knocked on his door, hoping he was home more than anything. Luckily, he answered. "Hello, love."

I walked past him inside and started pacing. "Did you know that Elena turned off her humanity and then burnt down my house? Guess what, she also fucking burnt Jermeys body! I swear I want to murder her!"

Klaus gently pulled me into him and held onto me.