T H I R T E E N

13 | The note

It was warm when we entered through the glass doors of the Mystic grill. We took a seat at a booth and looked at the menus even though I already had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to get.

My attention was drawn to the blonde-haired boy that walked up to us. Matt Donavan.

"Hey guys." He smiled at the both of us. I greeted him back with a simple nod of my head, and closed my menu.

"Hi, Matt." Jermey replied back with a simple smile.

"So, what can I get you both to drink?"

"Uh, a lemonade. Thanks." He nodded, grabbing out a small notebook and a pen. He began scribbling down the drink. He turned to Jermey who ordered a Pepsi.

Not too long after we had ordered our drinks, Matt came back with them and sat them down in-front of us. "Thank you, Matt." I said.

He nodded his head. "So do you know what you want yet or do you need more time thinking?"

"I'm ready. Can I get a burger and fries?" I looked up at Matt who was again, scribbling away on his small little notebook.

"And I want. . . I'll just have the same." Jermey says and closed up his menu.

"Ok I'll be back soon with that." Matt walked away.

"So, have you seen Elena?" I asked Jermey. "I haven't seen her all day. I mean It is only, like, four-thirty, but still."

"Not today no." He shakes his head.

———-

"Ok, that is so beyond the subject, Jeremy Gilbert." I let out a laugh and took a drink of my now almost empty lemonade.

"Well you did get held back in kindergarten. . . why again?" He smirked, knowing I hated answering this question.

"For pushing a girl off the monkey bars, come on you know this, Jer." I mumble. Jermey just bursted out laughing. Everyone turned there attention to us.

"Have you never seen someone laugh before?" Jermey spoke, making them turn away.

"Jermey, that was rude." I say hitting him in the side of the head softly.

"Ow." he laughed.

"I can't believe you did that. . . it was Olivia Taylors, wasn't it?" He asked.

"Yes, but it was for a perfectly good reason, she threw a crayon at me. . . It hurt. I was a little crazy as a child. And I didn't mean to shove her that hard. You know just like a. . . Little nudge."

"So, she threw a crayon at you, and you broke her arm." He laughed.

"Gilbert for the last time," I cracked a small smile. "I didn't mean too." I placed a fry in my mouth. I take a sip of my lemonade. I hear the door to the mystic grill open and I shifted my body to see who it was. "Hey, Stefan."

"Have you seen Elena anywhere?" I asked him.

"Um yeah, she's with Elijah." Stefan told me.

"I though he was daggered?!" I hissed, why the hell is Elijah with Elena? Is she that stupid?

"He was. Elena Undaggered him." Stefan said.

Yes, she was that stupid.

"Why would she do that?" Jermey asked in disbelief of his sister.

"Who knows Jermey, who knows." I turned back to Stefan. "Where is she, exactly?"

"She won't tell me." I scoff. Of course she wouldn't. Why does she always make stupid choices?

"Ugh she's so stubborn. Well, Thanks for telling me." I say and Stefan nods walking away. "Ok, are we ready?" He nods. I take our money and throw it on the table. I intertwine my arms with Jeremy's playfully and we leave the grill.

————

"Wait, Jermey drive to the boarding house." I said making him take a left. I had just got a text that the ancient vampire, Klaus or whatever, went after my mom.

"Why?" Jermey asked.

"Klaus went after my mom." I texted Damon back and thanked him for letting me know and that I was currently on my way to the boarding house.

"Klaus went after jenna?" Jermey asked with wide eyes and he stepped on the gas.

As soon as the car came to a stop I got out and ran into the house too see my mother sitting on the couch, her face red and puffy. "Oh, mom thank god you're ok." I ran up to her and sat down right next to her pulling her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry." Elena says from next to her. "I never meant for any of this to happen."

"When I was little, your mom used to tell me bedtime stories. Stories about vampires. I never thought that what she said could be true." My mom said tears falling from her eyes in a small sob.

"It is true, Jenna." Elena said. "I should have told you, I thought that if you didn't know, you'd be safe. But then things got so out of control and everything I had done to keep you out of it. . . It just blew up in my face."

"I'm going to get you something to drink, mom." I said standing up and going to the kitchen. I was going to get her a drink when I realized I didn't know where the cups were.

So I looked around. I opened almost every cupboard and didn't see anything. I walked over to a bigger cupboard and opened it, it was just a small cupboard with random things in it, but what caught my attention was a small door inside it.

It was very tiny inside the hidden room and it had stuff that looked very old, and very dusty. But the attention grabber was a small leather journal laying smack in the middle of a small, wooden table.

Everything had thick layers off dust and cobwebs basically everywhere. I didn't want to invade privacy but I wanted to see what was written. I pick it up and what looked like a note flew out from inside it.

It was old and crumbly, it looked like it was written on a piece of parchment and from my guess, more than fifty years back. I placed the old green book down and bent down to pick up the paper.

I stood back up and started to read it, curious to what is said.

Dear Alice,

This is what I've learned so far about mates, they usually just happen in werewolves. But It's a 3 step process. 1) it's making eye contact to trigger the bond. 2) it's marking so kind of like the male biting the female on her neck that leaves a kind of mark. 3) mating, I'm not sure to go into detail with that but it's self explanatory.

After you trigger it it forms a bond where it's almost impossible for you to not be around each other. It will only grow stronger especially if you try to ignore it.

That's all I know from know I'll keep you updated.

Yours,
Jayden