T W E N T Y N I N E

29 | Crazy hybrids and werewolf bites

"Surprise!" The group of us all yelled out watching caroline jumped in her spot.

"Happy birthday!" I winked at the blonde who had just walked inside her house.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked.

"Well since you blew off school and missed our birthday surprise. . ." I took the purple fluffy grown off my head and put it onto Caroline's head.

". . . Change into warmer clothes. We're going to the Falls. S'mores, campfire. . . " Bonnie said.

". . . Cake like when we were little." Elena finished.

"And tequila," Matt added making the four of us laugh. Caroline, even in her sad state, pulled up a little smile.

"Ah, thanks guys, really, but I'm not feeling it this year." Caroline forced a smile.

"I'm sorry but you've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day of the year." Bonnie tilted her head at the blonde. 

"Yeah and now it's just a reminder that technically I am dead. Look I didn't even like seventeen. Seventeen was just to get to eighteen. I'm stuck in a filler year!" She whined.

"Your not stuck Caroline," Elena said.

"Yeah I am, but it's ok you know, it's all good. I will be fine but I just need some time to wallow in it." She held up her hands.

"Ok, well I have another idea." I spoke up.

———

"There it is!" I yell trying to see past the dark. Elena then handed me a flashlight. "Heh, thanks." I turned it on and pointed it in my direction.

"This is creepy. Even for us." Bonnie looked creeped out as we entered our location. The metal door made a small creaking noise.

"No care, was right. She didn't need a birthday, she needs a funeral." I explained to them. "You need to say goodbye to your old life so that you can move on with your new one."

"Ok." Caroline said taking off her crown. "Here lies Caroline Forbes."

"Cheerleader, miss mystic falls, third grade hopscotch champion." I continue.

"Friend, daughter, overachiever." Bonnie laughs.

"Mean girl, sometimes no offense." Matt said making us laugh

"Ah, none taken." The blonde vampire smiled.

"She was seventeen and had a really good life." Elena said putting candles in the cake. "So rest in peace so you can move forward. That's what you really need."

"Amen, or cheers, or whatever." Elena laughs. Elena shifts her body to Bonnie. "Uh, bonnie." Elena looks down to the candles.

"Oh, yeah." Bonnie light all eighteen of the different color candles.

"Ok make a wish." Elena says.

———

"I need it more than you do, trust me." Elena says laughing and grabbing the alcohol. Elena offers me some but I decline.

"Care what are you doing?" I asked her noticing that she was on her phone.

"Nothing, hm?" Caroline responds looking back up at us hiding her phone screen from all of us.