F I F T Y F I V E

55 | New Orleans

A knocking sound was what made me stand up. My hair was threw up into a disheveled ponytail. I've been keeping it that way because of the amount of times I've been getting sick this week.

When I opened the door I was expecting Caroline, who had been checking up on me every single day. Although she already checked on me today, it wouldn't seem unusual for her to come back a second time. Or even a third time.

But it wasn't my bubbly friend, it was Klaus. "Hey." I opened the door wider and stepped aside waiting for him to come in. When he did, he was held back by the invisible barrier. "Oh, right. You can come in."

I closed my door as he walked inside. "So. . . Do you need something?" A smirk tugged up at his lips. Whatever this is, it couldn't be good.

"Well, I was hoping you would accompany me to a little visit to New Orleans?"

I quirked a brow. "New Orleans? I mean I guess so, but what's the reason for this 'little' trip?"

"I've heard whispers about witches who are conspiring against me; so why not take a look and found out who and why." His smirk never dropped, his eyes never leaving mine.

"Yeah, that was my first guess." I inclined my head. "So, how long do you think we'll be there for?"

———

Klaus and I were currently sitting across from a witch. She was straightforward. "I have nothing to say to you." She looked towards Klaus and then towards me, lingering on my eyes for a moment and then towards my stomach but almost as quickly as she looked there, she looked away.

"Oh now, that's not very amiable, is it? You don't even know me." He spoke, a small, teasing smile lifted his lips up as she scowled at him.

"I know what you are. Half vampire, half beast, you're the famous hybrid everyone has been talking about." She glared at him.

"Your lucky we're in a crowd of people," I spoke up, really annoyed. "Because that's very offensive, being a hybrid myself, and I'd love nothing more than to rip your head off."

"I wouldn't go getting yourself hurt. Especially now." She raised a brow, again looking towards my stomach quickly.

"Yes, I do actually agree with you on this one, love. But you see, witch, I'm the original hybrid. That's a long story which we don't have time for. I'm looking for someone, a witch. Perhaps you might be able to help me find her? Jane Anne Deveraux?"

"Sorry, I don't know." She shrugged. It was obvious she was lying through her teeth.

"Well now that's a fib, isn't it? No, you see I know that your a true witch amongst this sea of posers. So enough with the fabrications. I have quite the temper."

"Witches don't talk out of school in the quarter. The vampire won't allow it. Those are the rules. I don't break Marcel's rules."

That seemed to have sparked Klaus' interest. "Marcel's rules? Where do you suppose I might find this Marcel character?"

She muttered out the name of some random bar. I gave her a fake smile and walked away besides Klaus, and I was actually interested to see why Klaus was so interested in this person.

Once we entered the bar, a man upon a small stage was talking to the crowd. "Thank you," he spoke. This must have been the guy we're looking for, seeing how Klaus was looking at him.

The man's eyes met Klaus' and his brows furrowed. "Klaus?"

"Marcel." Klaus said back, studying him.

"Must be a hundred years since that nasty business with your papa?" He tilted his head, looking at me for a moment with mild curiosity.

Was he talking about Michael? Because if not, I'm so fucking lost. "Has it been that long?" Klaus asked, walking towards him.

"They way I recall it, he ran you out of town. Left a trail of dead vampires in his wake." Marcel nodded his head.

"And yet how fortunate you manage to survive. My father, I'm afraid, I recently incinerated to dust." Klaus kept walking closer to marcel. The action caused the other vampires who were with marcel to stand.

"Well if I would have known you were coming back into town—" He was cut off by Klaus.

"What? Marcel" Klaus moved closer yet again. "What would you have done?"

"I'd have thrown you a damn parade." He chuckled. Then they pulled each other in for a hug leaving me confused as hell.

"Niklaus Mikaelson." Marcel said as they pulled away from each other. "My mentor, my savior, my sire. Let's get you two a drink." Klaus wrapped and arm around my waist and walked to wherever Marcel was leading us.

"It is good to see you." Marcel looked back to Klaus.

"It's good to be home, although please tell me the current state of Bourbon Street is not your doing?" Klaus responded, amused.

Marcel laughed, "somethings got to draw in the out of towners, otherwise we'd all go hungry."

"I see your friends are day walkers." Klaus looked around at the many vampires in the bar.

"Yeah, yeah, I shared the secret of your daylight rings with a few buddies. Just the inner circle, though. The family."

"Tell me, how did you find a witch willing to make daylight rings?"

"I got the witches here wrapped around my finger."

Klaus laughed. "Is that so. I'm looking for a witch, by the name of Jane Ann deveraux, has some Business with me."

"Looking for Jane Ann, then you probably ought to come with me?" Marcel said as we stood up and followed him to wherever the hell he was going.

Again.

"Oh, how's your family?" Marcel asked Klaus.

"Those who live hate me more than ever." Klaus replied.

"Well forget them. If your blood relatives let you down, you make your own, huh? You taught me that. And what's mine is yours, as always. Even my night walkers, the riffraff's."

"How poetic." I mumbled sarcastically.

Marcel looked back to me with a smile. "I know you." He nodded. "Nora, isn't it? Nice to meet you."