F I F T Y F O U R

54 | Make the bitch jealous

I groaned at my aching self, letting my eyes adjust to the light as I opened them. I sat up and grabbed my phone. There were fifteen missed calls from Caroline and twenty-two text messages.

I stood up and started getting dressed.

"Running away, little wolf?" I heard Klaus say from behind me.

I pulled up a smile as I turned around. "Caroline texted. She needs you."

I walked over to the bed and gave him one last kiss before speeding off to my house where Caroline had said she would be. Maybe giving her a key to my house wasn't the smartest move, but oh well.

I got there later than I planned because the urge to grab a chocolate muffin was too strong. She was sitting on the couch when I walked in. "Hey, there you are. What took you so—" she stopped when she looked up from her phone. Her eyes squinted. "Is my little virgin. . . Not a virgin anymore?"

"How could you even tell?" I questioned.

"Because I'm your best-friend, duh." She spoke in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Ok. Well I think your radars off because I haven't been a virgin for a while."

"What?" Her eyes seemed to narrow and then suddenly a pillow was coming my way and it almost knocked me back. "You didn't tell me! What the hell!" She exclaimed, dramatically throwing her hands up in the air.

"Sorry, I think. Anyway, you wanted to talk?"

"Oh, right." Something flipped in her eyes. "Elena went after my mom. I just don't know. I'm scared, I guess. She was going to hurt her. What if she does hurt someone we care about?"

"If she does, or if she doesn't, I'm going to get the Salvatore brothers to throw her in that dungeon, and if they don't, I'm going to do it myself." I took a bite of my muffin. "Like as in, really soon. As in, I'll probably talk to Damon later and strangle him if he doesn't agree."

"Honestly, that sounds like the best option. She's just. . . out of control." Caroline nodded. "Now that that's out of my system, let's talk about you getting all hot and heavy."

———

"Stealing a prom dress, Elena? That's pathetic, even for you. What are you doing to do next, take her favorite teddy bear?" I faked a pout, walking towards Elena in the dark, empty streets where I had found her at.

I came up with a better plan. And thankfully, everyone else had backed me up on it. Elena scoffed, crossing her hands against her chest. "Are you finally getting involved in our problems? It would look better on me anyways."

When I got close enough I slapped her in the face. She let out a moan of pain and grabbed her cheek. "That's for what you did to our house," then again, "that's for burning my cousin."

Elena tried to come at me but I easily grabbed both her wrists and twisted them behind her back. "Don't pick a fight in which you cannot win." I twisted them back around to her front. "Be a good girl, will you? And your favorite football player won't have to get hurt."

"What are you talking about?" Elena furrowed her brows.

Damon walked out holding onto Matt who looked sluggish. He looked beaten up and bruised. Damon tossed him over to me and I grabbed him with a smile, turning to face Elena.

"Turn your humanity back on or I'll kill him." I stated, grabbing onto his hair. He groaned in pain, whether it was actually because with hurt, or because he was acting, I'm not so sure.

"Elena. Please." He almost whispered out, he dropped to his knees as if he was in pain.

"You're bluffing." She scowled.

"Okay." In one go, I snapped his neck and he dropped to the floor like a sack of potatoes. "Your loss."

Her face morphed into one of shock. Flip. Good ole Elena was back. Her hand came up to cover her mouth and her eyes filled with tears. "Matt. Oh, Matt." She ran towards him right as he started to cough and wake up again.

"Wha— I don't understand." She looked up to me, her doe eyes full of confusion.

"It was all a ploy. Fake. Only to get you too turn your humanity on. Bonnie did a spell, he's fine. Or well, he will be after he gets rid of that killer neck kink." I looked down at him and then to Damon. "Thanks, Salvawhore."

"Anytime, Traitor." He winked at me.

When Elena knew Matt was going to be fine as I had said, she looked up at me. "Nora, I am so sorry for what I've done. And I know I'll never be able to make it up to you."

"No. You won't." I looked back at Damon. "Bye-bye." I sped away because I felt like crying again. Maybe I can't be completely mad at Elena because her humanity was off, but it still hurt and I was mostly looking for someone to blame to make the pain easier.

I got home and sat down on my couch in the dark, letting it engulf me until I felt like I didn't want to cry anymore.

———

I took a picture of Caroline. "So this is how moms feel." I laughed, looking at the prom pictures I took of Caroline in her dress. She looked stunning, to say the least. I put my phone down and froze.

"I'm going to be sick." I ran to the bathroom and knelt down on my knees, grasping the sides of the toilet and let it all out.

"Nora! Are you okay?" Caroline exclaimed, taking a hold of my hair and holding it back.