F I F T Y T W O

52 | Into the wild

Caroline was crying as Tyler stood panicked on the other side of the magic border. Klaus sat across from me smirking. "Hey Care, look at me. I can fix this."Tyler whispered, leaning in and brushing a strand of blonde hair away from her sweating face.

"How?" Caroline asked, tears falling from her glistening skin. "The only thing that can heal me is his blood! Oh my god, oh my god. I don't want to die."

"Tyler." I spoke up. He turned his body, his eyes met mine and it was like he read my mind and knew exactly what I wanted him to do. He nodded and grabbed Caroline up.

When he came to the barrier, he let me take Caroline. I grabbed her just as Tyler had and laid her down on the couch. "I've been studying mates, did you know?" I smiled down at Caroline. "I found something interesting, and I want to try it out."

She looked at me confused. I lifted my hand from hers and bit into my wrist, letting the blood bubble from the wound and I pressed my wrist against Caroline's mouth.

She grabbed it and let the blood fall back into her throat. I looked down to where the wound was and smiled in satisfactory. It was gone. "I will always save you, Caroline. You've been there for me when no one was, and I love you so much."

Caroline threw her hands around my neck and squeezed me in a hug. "I'm so sorry they locked you in here. I really had no idea. Thank you."

I turned to face Klaus when I had Tyler take Caroline back to her house. "If you ever do something to harm my best-friend again, I swear, you will regret it."

———

It was the next morning. The sun was shinning, and Klaus and Tyler were at it again. "Well if it isn't the orphan Lockwood, came to show me how laughably impotent you are against me?" Klaus taunted.

"I'm just trying to help my friends find the cure." Tyler said. "I found this in your attic." Tyler unraveled something that looked like a scroll, and then I saw a sword.

"And you think finding the sword brings you closer to the cure?"

"You tell me. I was playing around with the handle on the ride over and I found this."

Klaus got up and walked over to the him. "And what do you think this is?"

Caroline shot up. "It's called a Cryptex I've seen the da Vinci code, you turn the different sides to the different symbols to get the translation on the other side and, with the magic of the internet, Elena sent over these so now all we have to do it crytex away. If you happen to want to help, we won't stop you."

"Right well, might I suggest using the magic of the internet to purchase an Aramaic-to-English Dictionary. From your nearest retailer." He replied, crossing his hands and looking at the pair with a small smirk.

"It's a dead language. It hasn't been used since like, biblical times." Caroline said.

"Qetsiyahs native tongue, I'm guessing. You know, even if you had the best dictionary in the world, it could take days to translate, perhaps weeks. In bas so teen too ara ma eet." Klaus smirked at their confused looks.

"What does that mean?" Caroline questions.

"If only you spoke Aramaic." Klaus smirked again.

Caroline and Tyler shared a look. Caroline sighed and looked back down at her papers. Caroline and Tyler had been working. She walked up to Klaus ask had him read something.

"Silas rests on the far side, that means of his destruction at hand, turn the cryptex to the right. Stop, The top of the hilt reveals a key to a nautical map. Turn it to the left, now turn the other piece. There's something else." Klaus said.

Klaus started speaking the language. "What does it mean?" No answer. "Klaus, what does it mean?" Caroline said getting frustrated.

———

Caroline had called Rebekah. Telling her what, I don't know. I was zoned out and bored. "Will you grab my phone, Caroline?" I asked the blonde. Caroline got up and walked over to the kitchen grabbing my phone.

"Thanks." I said she handed me the phone. I went and sat back down and pulled out my phone scrolling through my media.

"—there's only one does of the—."I heard Klaus say and I saw Caroline and Tyler scrambling to hang up the phone. I turned to them an amused look upon my face. I looked back down to my phone and texted Rebekah.

"There's only one dose of the cure."

Tyler and Caroline walked out of the house shortly after that. Klaus laughed to himself and sat down in one of the arm chairs.

When it got darker out, Caroline came back inside the house.

"You can't kill Tyler." Caroline crossed her arms against her chest, her curly hair resting on her shoulders.

"Not only can I, I have to. I have a reputation to uphold. Moreover, I want to." Klaus responded.

"I'm not asking you to forgive him. All I'm asking is that you let him live, somewhere far from here."

"So he gets to live a happy life after he turned all my hybrids against me, after he tried to kill me, after he made it his life's mission to find the cure so he can use it against me?" He raised a brow.

"We all want the cure." Caroline said.

"Do we? Do you? Does Nora?"

"It doesn't matter, there's only one, so it's not like I'm going to get it anyway." Caroline said.

"But Caroline what if you could?" I asked setting my phone down and looking at my best friend. "You wouldn't would you? Because I wouldn't." I said looking at the blonde.

Caroline didn't say anything.

"You like being strong, Care. And ageless, fearless. We're the same Caroline." She nodded in agreement. Beats me how Elena would want to go back to having a human life.

"Please, just let Tyler go." Caroline begged Klaus, turning her body to look at him.

"Klaus. It's the least you could do for biting her, isn't it?" I smiled sweetly and batted my lashes, tilting my head for some dramatic effect.

"Mercy for Tyler? Very well." He sighed, looking towards the blonde. "Tell him to leave town immediately and tell him to run and hide in a place I will never find him."

"Yeah, okay!" Caroline spoke eagerly. A small smile was poking at her lips and she rushed to turn around and swung open the front door, and then I could no longer see her.