F O U R T Y T W O

42 | The departed

All I could remember was walking throught the halls of the school the next day and passing out. And when I awoke, I was bound to a chair. I groaned, titling my head and cracking my neck before seeing Caroline tied up beside me.

Caroline had some type of rope around her mouth, but I didn't. My feet and hands were tied with vervain ropes that burned like a bitch.

"What the hell is going on?" I spat as Alaric smirked. My insides were twisting as I heard my best-friend crying. I wanted to murder Alaric for doing this to her. "Let her go or I'll kill you, Alaric!" I let out a manic chuckle, oh how badly I wanted to watch the light leave his eyes.

"Ah, don't go making threats that won't end up good for you." Alaric waved his fingers back and forth. "Right on time." I heard him mumble as Elena ran into the room. She stopped and gasped, looking at the two of us.

"Nora, Caroline! Let them go, Alaric!" Elena's eyed widened.

"Free them yourself," Alaric said. Elena hesitantly went over and started to undo my hand tie. Alaric then pushed her away from us almost immediately.

"You said that you'd let them go!" The brunette yelled.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Elena, stop trusting vampires!" Alaric looked at her angrily.

Alaric re-dipped the cloth covering Caroline's mouth in vervain. Caroline let out a cry of pain as he wrapped it around her mouth once again. I struggled against the robes, bitting my lip once I felt the horrible sting of the vervain.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked Alaric.

"To make it easier once Elena puts Caroline out of her misery," He responded.

"What? No!" Elena shouted.

"Isn't this what you wanted, Elena, for me to teach you how to kill a vampire?" Alaric questioned. "Well here's a vampire." He then pointed to Caroline with a white oak stake. My stomach turned seeing that stake.

"Kill her." Alaric said handing her the stake.

Elena shook her head. "This isn't what I want."

———

Elena was distracting him whilst I untied my hand ropes. Once she stabbed him with vervain, he knelt down in pain. I ripped off the ties holding back my hands and undid my feet while Elena got Caroline. I grabbed them both and sped out of that room before Alaric regained his strength.

I almost shouted as someone grabbed me and pulled me back against them.

"It's ok, you're safe love, it's me." I heard Klaus's voice say. I felt his arms wrap around my waist. I slowly closed my eyes catching my breath as I leaned my head against his chest.

"We'll save Elena, you go straight home and stay inside understand?" I nodded my head and he gave me a kiss before I sped off to my house.

I instantly noticed it was a mess. I was pacing back and fourth worrying about Elena and Caroline. I decided to go up to my room and once I did, I shut the door and sat down on my bed.

I kept thinking about all the wrong things, the bad things. Elena dead, hurt. Klaus dead. Caroline dead. They wouldn't leave my mind. I started to cry, I hated crying.

———

I woke up shortly after from a call from Tyler. "What do you want, lockwolf?"

He didn't waste anytime telling me Klaus had Elena and was planning on draining her of all her blood. "I'm on my way," I said hanging up the phone and quickly throwing on an outfit.

"Nik, where are you?" I yelled throughout the mansion. Once I turned, Klaus was right in-front of me, almost startling me.

"Just the person I wanted to see." He said walking towards me.

"Where's Elena?" I said moving past him to look around. I stopped for a moment to listen for her heartbeat and picked it up quickly. "Elena, oh my god." I sped to the room.

"Nora, help me please." She said, sounding tired. I felt hands wrap around my waist holding me back from going to save her.

"I wouldn't." He warned me.

"Klaus, let me go." I shook my head and tried getting out of his grip, it would have worked, if he wasn't like a billion years older than me. Klaus pulled me out of the room and to a diffrent room that looked like a living room. I turned around in his grip. He looked at me before I could say anything.

"Sleep." He compelled me.

Well Fuck, I internally groaned before I felt my body shut down.

———

I woke up in my own room. I rubbed my eyes and walked downstairs to see it was clean, no trace of the earlier mess. "Elijah?" I asked seeing him sit at my table with Elena and Stefan.

"Nora." He spoke back, nodding in my direction.

"What's going on?" I asked crossing my arms, my eyes were trailing over everyone. I was glad to see Elena sitting down, unharmed.

"You haven't told her?" Elijah asked as I stood there confused.

"Tell me what?" I asked and Caroline looked down to the ground.

"You know the desication spell we where going to use on Alaric? We used it on Klaus." Elena admitted, looking down at the wooden table she was sat at. Her hands were picking at each other.

"You did what?" I asked in disbelief.

"It had to be done, why do you care? He's hurt all of us." Elena asked.

"I think I know why," Stefan spoke up, looking at me.

Elena looked to Stefan as Elijah and I shared a brief glance. "Don't you dare, Stefan."

"What's going on?" Elena said confused.

"Where's Klaus?" I asked Elena.

"I— Damon has him." She gave up. She obviously knew neither I nor Stefan was going to say anything.

"Perfect," I said speeding out of the house and calling Damon.

"Hey, Wolfie." Damon said as he answered.

"Where are you taking Klaus? Elena wants to know," I asked him. As he told me the location, a smirk curled on my lips as I listened to the love-sick fool talk. He'd do anything for my cousin— no questions asked.

"Perfect. I'll let her know." I hung up the phone and placed it in my back pocket. I walked past my car and sped to the location Damon had told me.

It took a while, but one I got there I walked straight inside. "Shh," I heard the sweet voice of Rebekah say. "Alarics here." She whispered in my ear causing me to give out a slight nod.

Damn came out with the coffin as Rebekah and I started pushing it to where I guess Rebekahs car was. That was until Alaric showed up, pushing me back and slamming Rebekah's head against the car.

Damon went after him only to be kicked in the stomach. I saw Alaric open Klaus's coffin and hold the white oak stake up. "No!" I got up and sped towards him, only for his to kick my leg, snapping it and shove me away, causing me to slam and hit a wall.

He stabbed Klaus, setting his body alight. I popped my leg back into place and slumped against the wall. I couldn't do much more than stare at his body. Everything shut down, but I could feel the tears rolling down my face and hear the screams of Rebekah.

Alaric ripped the stake out of Klaus and turned to Rebekah. I then realized I was going to die. So was Caroline, and Tyler.

"Next." Alaric said.

"Get out of here!" Damon said. Rebekah grabbed me and sped off with me.