F I F T Y

50 | Mayor Lockwood

"Hey can you tell Tyler I'm so sorry I can't make it to his mothers funeral, tell him I'm really sorry about his mother, yes, thanks." I said and hung up the phone.

I wanted to go, I did. But I couldn't. I knew the reason she died, and I couldn't show my face. I'm sure Tyler wouldn't have wanted to see me either, no matter that I didn't play any part. I wouldn't have wanted to see me either.

It was around thirty minutes later when I received a call from Rebekah.

"Bekah, hey." I said into the phone.

"Hi lovely, can you come to the school?" She asked.

"Sure. Is everything ok?" I frowned, wondering why Rebekah would ask me to come to the school when there was no school today.

"Yeah. Everything's fine see you later, darling." She hung up the phone. I stood up and sped to the high school. I entered and looked around for her. When opened three doors and couldn't find her, I have up and listened for her voice.

"And these tattoos reveal what? Elena." I heard Rebekah's voice say as I entered into the library. Everyone turned around. Rebekah saw me and smiled.

"Uh, what's going on?" I laughed awkwardly, seeing my friends surrounding a table with Rebekah walking around them like a predator.

"Just a little game." Rebekah shrugged as I walked over to her, my hands crossed and a questionable look upon my face.

"A map." Elena answered Rebekah's question, looking straight down at the table, her hands messing each other in her lap.

"Which lead to. . .? Caroline!" She pointed at the blonde with a smile.

"A cure for vampirism." Caroline answered.

"Perfect, We're all caught up. Stefan Salvatore the last time we saw each other, you had a vampire Hunter, but in order to decode the map, you needed the location of the hunter sword, which you got out of me using some very dirty tricks. Assuming you found the sword, you must've found the cure, and yet you're still vampires which meant something went wrong, what are you doing?"

"You asked me to take notes." April said, holding a pen.

"I wasn't being literal, darling." Rebekah spoke looking at the brown haired girl. "But now that you mention it, a flow chart would be nice, which means index cards and pushpins. Go fetch."

April got up and left the library.

"Your wasting your time, we don't know anything." Stefan glared at Rebekah.

"So you just gave up? I thought you would do anything to save Elena even if it meant taking the cure yourself so you can grow old and Die with her."

Everyone looked around. "Why do you look so surprised? I'm missing something. What is it?" Rebekah asked.

"They broke up, ok." Caroline said. Rebekah smiled. "Now let us go."

"Broke up? Wait, I'm confused. I thought Elena was your epic love. Stefan, I asked you what happened, and you have to tell me." Rebekah said sitting down in a chair.

"She slept with Damon." Stefan said, causing Elenas head to shoot up.

"So, vampire Elena is a trollop who likes bad boys, which explains why Stefan reeks of alcohol. But what it doesn't explain is why sweet, loving, innocent Elena could be so heartless towards Stefan, how could she hurt you like that? Answer, please."

"She didn't know it at the time, but she was sired to Damon." Stefan said, looking off.

"A sire bond, fascinating. What do you think about that, Elena?"

"I think your sad and bored, and in desperate need of a hobby." Elena snapped and the blonde.

"You're hiding something. Fess up." Rebekah compelled her.

"I didn't sleep with Damon because of the sire bond, I slept with Damon because I love him." Elena said monotonly. Stefan looked up at elena.

Elena looked around, clearly she didn't want to say that. She looked to Stefan who looked clearly hurt.

"We got off the point. Stefan, how do I find the cure? Unless you'd rather talk about Damon and Elena all day?"

"There's a professor. He knows where the cure is." Stefan still had a hurt look on his face, but now he just looked bored.

"Thank you, and, uh, where do I find this professor?"

Rebekah's phone rang and she walked out of the room. "Why are you here?" Elena asked me. I shrugged.

"You think I know." I fiddled with my hands.

Rebekah walked back in the room and smiled. "Sister," we heard a voice appear in the room. Rebekah's faced lightened up.

"Look at this, you're even worse than Klaus." Kol said.

"Kol, finally, did you bring what I asked for?" Kol pushed a person in the room. The curly mop-head I could recognize earlier. Professor Shane.

"You must be Shane." Rebekah said.

Kol, Rebekah, and the professor walked out of the room. Leaving us alone. It wasn't that long after that she came back into the room. "Still glued to your seats? Oh, it's thick with tension in here let's spice things up a bit, Elena, truth or dare?"

"We're done playing your stupid games, Rebekah." Stefan said fed up with the original.

"Truth, or dare Elena, you're compelled, answer." Rebekah said again this time more demanding.

"Dare." Elena choose.

"I dare you to tell Stefan the truth about Damon." Rebekah dared her.

"Seriously?" Caroline said looking up at Rebekah, her hands thrown up in the air.

Everyone turned to Elena. "Being with Damon makes me happy."

"Makes you happy? Clowns make you happy, Elena, dig a little deeper." Rebekah said.

"When I'm with him it feels unpredictable, like, like I'm free."

"And how do you feel when your with Stefan?"

"Stop." Caroline said irritated.

"She can't. She's compelled." Rebekah smiled.

"Lately I'm feeling like a project, like I'm a problem that needs to be fixed, I think I make him sad and I can't be with someone like that because when he looks at me, all he sees is a broken toy."