Chapter 22

"I always want to show you the best of me, so please, go back for today."

I state it with earnestness and courtesy.

However, he stares at me blankly, ignoring my sincerity and making it clear that he will not go out. 

"I don't know how it will be, whether it'll be good or bad, but let's give it a try today."

Wow, what an eloquent speaker.

I am at a loss for words to the point where I wonder if he was originally such a good speaker.

"Is it okay?"

He then lies on the bed after pulling the blanket out of my weary hand.

On my bed!

Just like before when he was sitting on my coma-induced couch, he acts like it's his own master bedroom!

This is my bed. It is very comfortable!

"Aren't you sleeping?"

He then pats the empty space next to his naked, upper body.

.

.

"Is her grace sleeping?"

Pope's roommate, Anne, asks as she drags Pope back after she had finished serving Abella.

"I don't know."

As expected, Pope gives a blunt answer, shaking her head from side to side.

She has been standing the whole day so her whole body is stiffed. When she turns, there's cracking noises.

"You don't know? Didn't you see her grace sleeping?"

"His Excellency came."

"What?"

Anne shuts her mouth at her sudden outbursts then looks around and whispers. "Why?"

"I don't know."

"Is she still with him?"

"I think so. I just saw Sir Dane outside the door."

"Why?"

Keeping quiet, Pope only looks at Anne, who repeatedly asks the same question as if it's unbelievable news. She wonders whether or not Anne could be trust. "What are you so curious about?"

"Weren't you condemned for kicking Miss Catherine out to the ranch?"

"I never said that."

"Did you hear that Ergel is coming back? Does she nag a lot? What about the soo-in?"

"I never even mentioned that."

"..."

At Pope's indifferent reply, Anne opens her mouth. "What happened?"

"I don't know."

"What did her grace do? Did Dr. Lejan do anything special for her after she fell down the stairs?"

"Did something?"

"Does she have a magic that makes her more attractive or—?"

"Dr. Lejan is a doctor, not a wizard."

"So?!"

At Pope's words, Anne jerks her head away.

"Aren't we relying too much on divinity and magic? Maybe there's something more special about primitive medicine?"

Looking at Anne's expression, it seems that she's still suspicious.

"Go to sleep."

Pope shakes her head with her limp, loosened hair.