Chapter 41

After knowing that, I thought that I could understand the meaning behind the remembered conversation.

No matter how much the former duchess backed Catherine, Abella had allowed Catherine too much power.

It was a strange thing that I noticed after becoming Abella. Regardless how much power the head maid held, Abella is the duchess.

It doesn't make sense to have it gone on for this long.

It's obvious that there was something between the two.

I don't know.

I thought perhaps I would understand the contract between Charles and Abella after I figure that part out. Also maybe, I will also understand the involvement of Baron Farhan as well.

When I think about it, it's weird.

The news of her falling down the stairs and scraped herself were already pervasive in the capital.

That's why the baron must have known that Abella was in critical condition.

I didn't receive a letter.

"Not a word to ask if I'm okay."

The moment I try to think of Baron Farhan from Abella's memory, there's a sentence that comes to mind:

[Don't think about coming back. Let's die together.]

Right.

I lift myself up from the railing.

I belatedly recall from the novel what Lord Dane had said to Abella.

"!"

I then rush into the bedroom and lift up the mattress. I encounter the paragraph in the novel that I will face in the future.

[We can't die together, Ella.]

"Ella."

It's a sentence that I read over and over again.

A scene that I've read time and time again.

Why have I only seen this now?

As I raise my hand, temporarily lost in thought, I turn around and look at Abella's face in the mirror. Right at that moment, apart from the emotions that I feel, my heart beats erratically against my will, reacting to the name "Ella" in the novel.

Or to be more specific, it's not me but Abella's body.

.

.

"Eonnie, she's been doing funny things these days."

Evangeline sits by Marissa's side and crosses one of her leg. Even though it's her sister, does Marissa disapproves of the way she's shaking her leg since she has put down her teacup?

"... "

Evangeline straightens her posture and untwists her leg.

"She—"

It's still too undignified to say it from her mouth.

"Evangeline Ricalen Diago."

Marissa turns her head and calls out her full name.

Because Evangeline knows well enough what that gaze and call mean, and what would happen if that gaze persists, she corrects herself.

"The current duchess is acting strange—no, she's doing something."