Chapter 48

Burying himself into the chair, Charles stares at the two of them with his head slightly raised.

"It seems that I have loosen my grip on you guys a lot these days."

"... "

"Isn't that right? Should I tighten it again?"

In a soft voice that stops people's chatter—

"I'm sorry, Your Grace."

Bowing his head, Ledin immediately stops fighting and straightens himself right way.

"I was shortsighted. I'm sorry."

But our Edgar—

"But, why is the devil trying to divorce?"

Since he has already aroused Charles' anger, he wonders whether or not he would be hit anytime soon.

"No matter how much I think about it, I don't know."

"... "

"What is Abella's intention? I think we need to know what that is."

"Who are you?"

"As your faithful right hand man, who has pursued this marriage contract, and a loyal citizen of Lapel, and your cupid, I can't help but wonder."

All his previous words are superficial, but Edgar's true intentions are attached underneath them. He's been dying to know, wondering if there's any change in the relationship between Charles and Abella.

Edgar's expression is full of determination. He then sharply looks at Charles, holding two clenched fists to the side of his thighs, as if he was resolute in hearing the answer today.

"I know it's a presumptuous question."

"So you know it's presumptuous?"

"Yes, but I am telling you that because there seems to be no reason for why you both should divorce."

Tilting his head, Charles, who touches the armrest with his fingertips in a clear manner, alternates between Curtis and Ledin.

If he doesn't finish this story now, it's clear that the story of divorce would continue to pop out of Edgar's mouth.

"A marriage without love is unfortunate."

Charles speaks casually as if it's nothing more than a routine. He then lifts his head.

"Wasn't that condition written in the first place when you married?"

Edgar, who deepens his doubtful expression, asks as he narrows his eyebrows.

"In just a year, she has lost her confidence."

"What?"

"The confidence to stay married without love."

"Is she saying that she's in love?"

"... Otherwise whose love can it be?"

"Ah."

He laughs awkwardly at Charles' gaze, as if stopping his own oncoming nonsense.

"There are not many nobles who love passionately and marry. Abella is quite pure. Haha."

He tries to turn his body away to avoid Charles' eyes.

"So, you're saying that Abella-nim has love for you, but she's going to divorce you because she doesn't think that she can endure your heartlessness, a person who doesn't love her?"