Chapter 16

Again, it's a solitary remark that pops out of my mouth, but Pope, who has adapted to me these past few days, doesn't even respond.

That's not what's important now.

If I want to survive my fate by running away, there is a high possibility that someone else will become my replacement.

Of course this is only my assumption.

There's no guarantee—

"No."

Then, to reduce that chance as much as possible, my divorce has to take place right before they meet.

Then, he'll not think about getting remarried.

Well, let's wait it out.

One and a half years.

Hold on.

I don't think this is right.

I don't want to kill anyone just to live comfortably, but then I have to stay with Medusa for a year and a half.

Would I die before that?

What if he does something sweet again like what he did a few days ago to stop the divorce, such as heeding what I said a few days before and try to make up for our first night?

Oh, my God.

Just by imagining it, I can see the next year and a half in my head, repeating itself like a painful panorama.

Even though I haven't been through the situation, I feel tired as if I have.

Right, I don't need to be nosy about the death of anyone but myself.

Otherwise, I'd have saved Charles' life.

However, what if I hear rumors about Charles' and his new wife's death while I'm living well?

I'll never get a peaceful rest.

"Argh!"

Damn it.

I sigh deeply, barely holding back the urge to tear my head off.

Yes.

This is all because of Catherine.

Because Catherine was released of her position, it leads me to thinking all these agonizing thoughts.

It's not like I can do anything to fix it.

But maybe I should try at least once.

"Ha—"

My head hurts. It feels like all the pain has concentrated to the forehead, forcing me to close my eyes.

"Are you thinking about the head maid?"

Pope, who has been by my side this whole time, asks me.

Before I wouldn't let Pope know what I'm thinking without knowing her thoughts first, so this isn't quite like me to reply. "Yes."

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

"The one I have in mind is—"

First, it isn't Catherine since I've to stay for another year and a half.

Rumor has it that she's been going around saying that she'll be the head maid again. The source of her confidence is from the former duchess, who might come back and take her side.

If I leave it like this—No.

How can I leave it like this?

I don't want to see you for the next a year and a half here.