Chapter 96

I sit in the wagon and stare blankly at the moving grass as if I'm watching a flowing river.

Why am I sitting here, and for what reason?

"..."

And why is that person in front of me?

If it's urgent, why didn't you get help from Hortman at the feast?

"...Damn it."

My deepest thoughts come out of my mouth.

Charles, who doesn't even know what's going on with me internally, briefly glances at me for a moment.

What are you going to do?

He's the one that has invaded my space.

Because of this person, I can't even be in this carriage comfortably.

Ow, my tailbone hurts.

Even though I've recovered, my butt still aches as I sit on the edge of my seat.

I should have done what Hortman said.

No, in the first place, I should have used Hortman's transportation spell to go to the capital...

Then, I would not have been this uncomfortable.

To be honest, since something urgent has happened in the capital, I naturally thought that Charles would go to the capital using a transportation spell. Therefore, I said I would use a wagon...

Besides, I thought that a carriage would be more convenient than magic to take Pope or Leo.

However, what is this?

I don't know how to explain his willingness to ride a carriage with me.

Because it's dangerous.

Aish—

If someone else did it, it would be a sweet gesture. Since it's him who's doing it, I feel that something is amiss.

"Isn't it too narrow and uncomfortable?"

"I'm fine, so make yourself at home."

"..."

I roll my eyes at his way of deflecting my words even though he struggles to turn around.

No matter how much you tell me to relax, how can I be comfortable in this cramped space?

"If you really want me to make myself at home, you should've used another carriage—"

There are many. Even your carriage coming along with us is empty.

"Why do we have to stick together in this narrow place like this?"

"..."

"It's annoying."

"...Ah."

He nods, understanding at once.

Fortunately, his lieutenants can't break into our wagon, and Evangeline, who cried until the moment she got into her carriage—

I'm not going because you're there.

I wonder why I'm going there, but I understand that this is a pretty reasonable move in its own way.

"If you go to the capital mansion, it will be difficult to live like in Lapel."

Because I expected so, I didn't want to go.

"I know."

While I'm in the capital, it's clear that things like the tea party from a few days ago or yesterday's garden party will continue throughout my stay.

There have been a lot of rumors from Lapel.

I'm going to be like a zoo monkey.

No, I'll be lucky if I can just be a monkey. It's more about being called and dragged around, mechanically read through invitations piling up on the table, and rejecting them one by one.

To be honest, it doesn't make any sense to just sit around the mansion during the founding season when a large number of nobles in the empire flock to each other.

I'd rather not be here.

There are still a lot of rumors, but I'll make sure not to show up.

What are you going to do about all those rumors?

I bite my lip, imagining all the terrible situations.

Of course, if I don't care about rumors, they might not be able to use them.

I can give them the same reasons as in Lapel such as I was sick and having a hard time.

Do I need to do that? I honestly want to.

This is the graveyard of past events.

Isn't it okay to just come and do what I want?

Rumors are rumors, and if I stress about them...

I can't solve it with the money I have in my hand.

Besides, it's not Lapel, it's the capital.

Capital!

When I recall the content of the novel where it said Lapel was countryside...

I think the Lapel is the most gorgeous place.

If Lapel is a village, then is the capital the pinnacle of splendor?

I give it some thought.

To be honest, memories of the capital in Abella's past are a bit dull, but the center of the capital shouldn't be like that.

I'm looking forward to it.

For a moment, my heart that didn't want to go to the capital flips like a hot rice cake.

Somehow, I feel like I'm going on a short vacation to Europe.

All the strange and rare things in the world must be concentrated in the capital city.

Then, shall I quietly collect some gems? To take it as alimony?

Should I just ignore him now?

If I look at him, he'll know that I've been self conscious.

Feeling guilty for no reason, I clear my throat.

"All right."

He nods, raising his chin slightly as if he has made a big decision.

With that look on his face—

"From now on, you should get used to being with me."

His voice sounds like cold water to the face.

"You'll have to stick with me as much as possible, so be kinder to me."

I have to be different than when I was in Lapel.

I look up at him, wondering what he meant by 'I have to stick with him'.

"Are the dukes and duchesses always hanging out together like that?"

"Uh."

Somehow, the flow of conversation seems to overlap with that time when we danced with our body closed to each other to the point where I was not able to breathe properly.

However—

"There are more eyes in the capital than you can imagine."

Unlike back then, there is no sense of playfulness from him.

Are you serious?

I can't understand what's going on, so I narrow my brow slightly.

"What—"

"There are very bad rumors about you."

After he briefly explains my reputation, he bites his lip.

Look at his slightly distorted expression, it looks to be pretty bad.

"So at least, we can try to put them to rest...We should be lovers of the century."

That way, if Abella is found to be an illegitimate child, the excuse that it was all because of love can be used.

If you don't get caught spreading rumors–

They can easily be put to sleep.

The statements of 'The two of you are so close to each other, it's ridiculous.' and 'You are an illegitimate child, what kind of person is His Excellency?'

That's why I have to go to the capital.

Though I understand his reluctant explanation, I feel a bit bitter so I chew the tender flesh inside my mouth.

There...There's one more thing.

Not only can it show the emperor that we're not getting a divorce because of this, but also to show that he doesn't have any intention of increasing his power beyond this.

Is that how Charles protects his dukedom?

"..."

But it's all useless.

You're wasting your breath.

After all, you will be hated by the emperor, and then you will also be hated by the crown prince.

Even though you have to fight hard for yourself like this, it still ends with death.

Unless you choose first.

"Have you chosen the crown prince?"

As I recall his funeral, the scene that killed me, he swallows the words he's about to say and stares at me.

"......"

I return his gaze.

What the hell is he trying to say to me?

Don't you want to pick an emperor first?

Then, who should you choose?

Kyle, who steps on Charles in the end, or Michael?

None of this is an easy choice, and the future is unpredictable.

If so, isn't it better to just go with the future that is predestined?

Then, what's Charles's future?

As I lift my head at the thoughts rushing in at once,

"Why are you asking that?"

His dark eyes flicker.

Why did I ask?

To be honest, I'm curious about that too.

What kind of answer did I want to hear?

"Abella."

"Just that I heard rumors His Majesty said he would not ask about the Diago's choice this time."

"Then, there is nothing more to be curious about, right?"

"......"

"Anyway, Diago's choice is useless."

"I'm just curious. Will Diago's choice and His Majesty's choice be the same?"

I look at him with my chin slightly clenched.

"Has the duke chosen a prince, or have you already chosen but decided to remain silent?"
"..."

"As the rumors say, will the curse of Diago end under His Majesty, the current emperor? I am curious about it."

I shrug off his gaze, who is still silent despite what I said.

"If you don't want to say it, you don't have to. I'm just talking to myself."

That's really the case.

Though I'm curious, I don't really want an answer since I'm just being impulsive.

"However..."

Yes, but...

"Can't you just do as you please?"

"..."

"Just like you forced me to stay married so you won't be bothered by His Majesty, I just want you to do what you want to do."

"..."

"Honestly, can't our duke just build a new country without being conscious of His Majesty?"

He comes closer to me in an instant and covers my mouth with his hand.

"Shh—"

As if someone is eavesdropping, I raise my eyes in surprise.

He looks out the window before looking back at me, seeing my stiff expression-

"I'll take that advice seriously."

He whispers sweetly as his eyes meet mine.

It's all very sweet.

.

.

.

.

T/N: While Charles's busy trying to find ways for them to be closer, her ass is back on that alimony/divorce wagon lol

I'm ready for capital sheninagans.