Chapter 92

Catherine's voice instantly catches the attention of the crowd like a firecracker exploding with a bang.

"Catherine?"

I immediately twist my body around.

Wow, if you raise your voice like that—

Thank you so much.

To be honest, I've been worrying about how to bring those two out.

Of course, if I had taken that woman away to discuss in private, I'd find Catherine and Evangeline's names flow out of her mouth, but—

It won't be very impactful.

Rumors may spread, but it's clear that there would not have been as much of a ripple effect as blowing it up here.

By the way-

Even if you grit your teeth and cover your mouth, or volunteer to leave this place after letting out a voice that should have been blocked—

Why shouldn't I take advantage of this situation?

Just like right now.

"What do you mean?"

"....."

"Lied? Who lied-"

Unlike the words that have just popped out of her mouth, Catherine stands there without saying anything else like a mute.

"Catherine...You."

I rush toward her like a dog.

I hold on to Catherine's back as she tries stepping backward, telling her that I have no intention of letting her go.

"Do you know anything about this madam?"

"......"

"Catherine?"

I urge her on so that she is unable to run away.

Even if she wants to run away, she probably can't because Charles is also watching her.

If he's a little quick-witted in this situation—

You've already understood who's behind Catherine.

And I trust this aspect of Charles very much.

However—

"By the way-"

There's no time for Charles to let me know if he has figured it out or not because Evangeline takes the spotlight.

"Why can't it be a lie?"

What a good situation for the family.

People's eyes brim with curiosity to the point of making sounds as they shift from Catherine to Evangeline.

Wow what kind of day is today?

How is it that you're doing what I want?

What I originally wanted is a quiet solution.

After what has just happened, how are things going the way I want them to?

Or—

Is it because these two are idiots?

"..."

One way or another, the angrier Evangeline's voice is, the more calm my voice becomes.

"What do you mean 'a lie', Princess?"

"In this situation, is there anyone other than the duke's wife, who must be lying in regards to what that madam is saying?"

"......"

"As a person who should never be found out that she is actually an illegitimate child—"

"Evangeline Diago!"

Charles's cold voice immediately follows Evangeline's, who speaks words that no one should ever say without hesitation.

But nevertheless-

"If your wife is an illegitimate child, this is a family..."

Evangeline stops talking and steps forward, staring at me with a clear hostility.

Shame on the family.

Maybe she can't directly say those words from her mouth. So, she just glares at me while pushing down the words that threaten to spill out of her throat. Almost as if trying to swallow them back down.

"Then she lied about it and became Duchess, and if all this turns out to be true..."

"......"

"I think we should expel her with a divorce, Your Excellency."

Divorce is brought to the forefront.

.

.

"Oh my God, what is going on?"

"I mean, it's been such a long time since I've been to a banquet that I made sure to match the dressing protocol, but what is this situation?"

The murmurs of the nobles returning home, regretting the banquet has ended without them seeing the resolution reaches the Noble Room on the 3rd floor,

"Oh, it's cold."

Pope hurriedly approaches the window and purposely slams it close.

"Oh, it's very windy today, Your Grace."

Hahaha.

Pope, who's trying to block out the outside noise with a big smile, is still not relieved, so she rolls the thick curtain –

"Is it night now?"

Even though it's mid day, the room becomes darker as if a dark night has come.

"Yes, it is night. So get some sleep."

As if she's getting me ready for bed, Pope hurriedly comes to my side, taking off the decorations from my head, and untying the straps from my dress on my back.

"It's tightly tied up."

"......"

"The knot is too tight to untie. Haha-"

"You don't have to do something you haven't done before. I'm fine."

"...I'm sorry."

"No need to be sorry."

"......"

"Wouldn't it be too awkward if you suddenly stop talking in this situation?"

"Then, shall I go and get Leo?"

As soon as Pope mentions Leo, a faint smile settles on the corner of my lips as the image of his tail floating up and down.

This damn girl.

In this situation, Pope knows exactly what she needs to do in order to comfort me.

"Yeah, that would be good."

"I'll be right back!"

Pope bows her head and hurriedly leaves the room.

"Right."

The person who can read my heart in this moment and comfort me without saying a word—

To be honest, Leo's the only one.

However, do I really need comfort?

Comfort is what a wounded person needs.

I'm not hurt at all.

It's just that today has been too long.

I don't have any energy left.

Even after one storm has raged and passed, it's still only mid day outside. There's still a long way to go before night, and for that night to pass –

Another year.

I take a long breath today because I feel like I've aged five years.

Honestly I...

I didn't think Evangeline would come out on her own. I was confident that she would never get involved in this situation in the first place to the point where I felt suspicious of that assumption.

However, Evangeline shattered my expectations, attacked me directly, and talked about my divorce with Charles.

The original purpose wasn't to bully me, but to make me get a divorce because of this rumor.

If that's the case...

It's me who should thank her.

At the same time, I wonder why she went so far.

Somehow, she feels like Abella from the novel, who hated Abigail endlessly.

Abella, who destroyed herself and walked into hell, was eager to hate others.

I can understand her feelings roughly since I've become Abella.

When did Evangeline hate me so much?

Because I kicked Catherine out and rebelled against everything?

Or does she just hate how a baroness is living as a duchess?

Or simply-

Maybe she doesn't like the fact that I was a baroness.

Abigail, who stole Kyle, is also a young baroness. Since the target of that anger is not in front of you, did you mess with me instead?

"......"

Yes, it's not that I don't understand when I think about it that way—

Nevertheless, you have gone too far, Evangeline.

Well, there must have been someone who has been encouraging Evangeline to not only come here, but also act like this.

Then, that bad thing is Catherine.

To be honest....

I'm able to understand Evangeline's mind to some extent using empathy that came from deep within my bones

Of course, I can't understand everything about her, but I do wonder how much she hates me.

Evangeline probably just wanted to get back at me because she hates me so much.

But, Catherine couldn't do that.

Isn't it her who brought the previous maid of the previous duchess to be the head maid?

In such a situation, Catherine should not tarnish her family's honor in this way by involving herself in this situation.

I should have talked to Charles quietly or found another way.

Especially since Evangeline isn't old enough to make rational choices.

So isn't all of this because of Catherine's greed?

As long as I'm here, she won't be able to take back her maid position.

Yes, Catherine, you are the strongest villain.

In part, it's also my fault that I left room for trouble.

It's my fault. It's my fault. It's my fault.

After a long sigh and a couple of beatings to my chest, I stretch out my arms and shoulders.

The ending I want to avoid all along.

I'm going to have to uproot them all today.

"Tia?"

"Yes, Your Grace."

"Go and call Ergel."

It's time to see the end for Catherine.

.

.

"The woman is an unknown actress from T'Areguk."

"......"

At Ledin's words, Charles taps the desk with his index finger and stares at Evangeline in front of him.

Evangeline remains calm even though she has lied and done something obvious.

As if she has only done what she thought is necessary.

"Do you know what you did?"

"Yes."

"......"

In response to Charles' short words, Evangeline raises her chin slightly.

"It is a righteous act."

"......"

Evangeline's eyes lively gleam as she looks at Charles with a stiff chin.

She has no clue what's going to happen, but she doesn't understand what the big deal is regarding her own actions.

Do you not know or are you pretending not to know?

(Charles's thought)

In response to Evangeline's answer, Charles stops tapping his fingers on the desk.

"A righteous act...?"

"Yes, I should have revealed every detail of the truth to my brother who is possessed by that woman."

"......"

"I apologize for insulting the duke in this way... But if I hadn't done this, you would have quietly covered up this matter, wouldn't you??"

"......"

"As a way to protect that filthy woman's honor—"

From 'Duchess' to 'That Woman' and then to 'Filthy Woman'.

Evangeline, drunk on her own emotions, bites her lip, unable to quickly grasp the change in Charles's gaze.

"Brother, please calm down—"

"You're pretty sure I didn't know, Evangeline."

"If Brother knew about this in advance—"

"......"

"I'm sure a wise and responsible person like you wouldn't have married such a woman."

"That's why you came out in front of all the Lapel vassals and insulted the duchess."

"That's—"

"Evangeline Diago."

As Evangeline hesitates and pauses her words, Charles raises his head. He calls out her name as if it was submerged.

"Do you remember what I said a while ago?"

"What—?"

"I told you not to stand against the duchess under any circumstances and that I'm on her side—"

"Brother, why are you still calling her Duchess—"

"Ledin."

"Yes, Your Excellency."

At Charles's words, Ledin hands a piece of paper, which has been prepared in advance, to Evangeline.

"What is this—?"

Evangeline accepts it with a frown.

Evangeline, whose head barely moves before reading the entire page from beginning to end, trembles.

"Nonsense."

She looks up at Charles.

.

.

.

.

T/N: I would feel sorry for Evangeline for being dumb if only she wasn't so dumb like how many times must something blows up in your face for you to realize that maybe you just don't have the brain capacity to do anything well... Like girl. Live your rich life. Fuck Kyle and just have a couple of fuck bois for fun (like your brother is the duke so... and also, his wealth is comparable to the imperial family.. you ain't gonna go broke. This bish really floundered her opportunity y'all)