Chapter 87

I slowly open my eyes to the bright morning sunlight that's pouring in, easily overshadowing the heavy rain from the previous day.

"......"

Maybe it's because I'm tired from not being able to sleep but the familiar ceiling somehow feels unfamiliar.

As the silence continues, the bedroom feels too spacious for one person.

The other narrow side of the wide bed, opposite of where I have been sleeping on, has become cold enough to make me afraid of reaching out to it.

I'm on the left. He's on the right.

I'm on the side that's closer to the wall. He's on the side that's closer to the door.

I don't know how, but the two of us naturally became like that.

Because it's nothing.

Therefore, there's nothing strange about breaking up any time we want.

"Ha..."

I let out a long sigh as I glance at the empty space.

Somehow, the words I uttered to push Charles away seem to stab and hurt me instead of him.

Even though I know I shouldn't be like this, and that it's really selfish to think like this.

"Hah..."

Once today is over, Charles will leave for the capital.

Whether it's a week or a day, I'll be able to sort out my self-inflicted heart once he leaves.

Once he's out of sight, he'll be out of my mind.

I just want to finish today's work well and think about what other work I'll need to do after—

Exhaling a breath that's closer to a cry, I get up and pull on the string.

"I'm up!"

.

.

By the way, what is all of this about?

I'm dragged to the salon without a moment's notice when Pope said that I have to get ready right away.

"Your Grace."

Cosette, the director of the Wicking Wardrobe who seems to have been waiting in the dressing room, welcomes me.

"Cosette."

I turn around and blurt out.

"What is all of this—No, what the hell is this? I never called Cosette."

"I have to come even if you don't call me, Your Grace."

The person who comes even when she isn't called for.

When I turn back around, wondering what this is all about, the commotion stops.

Jewelry, shoes, fans, and parasols pile up high on the salon tables and on the sofa that was fine the night before.

Along with other accessories.

On the other side, there are even other people dressed as mannequins.

I haven't been to the dressing room in the capital so I can't say for sure, but—

Isn't it similar to this situation?

I want to ask.

Noisy and hectic.

So, how can I be so surprised?

Because I am a commoner who's not used to this kind of treatment.

Even more so, this is a situation that I've encountered as soon as I opened my eyes.

No, it's not.

The first thing I saw after waking up with puffy eyes was Pope and the maids standing in a V formation.

Starting with Pope, the six maids stretched out like wings.

As soon as I opened my eyes, I was shocked after seeing it.

7 sisters, not the Five Eagle Brothers since they were too old.

(T/N: 5 Eagle Brothers is a film about, you guessed it, 5 brothers. Basically she's saying Pope and the other maids remind her of that film but there are 7 maids instead of 5 like the film).

I'm getting old.

Even now, when I think about that situation, it's such an absurdity that laughter can burse out anytime.

V shaped formation.

Crazy.

"It's an emergency right now."

"..."

It's an emergency.

Yes, from Pope to Cosette, I don't know what's causing this mess.

Well, it's not that I don't know.

But, is it even worth considering a state of emergency?

"Do I look like a mess?"

To an extent that I have to be urgently dressed, even discussing it like an emergency situation?

Frankly, no matter how messy I am, I can't be that bad. I turn my head to the mirror, but–

"..."

Ha, really.

This is a scam.

Even though I've just woken up from sleep, it is enough. Even though I've barely slept the night before, my appearance now is pure beauty itself.

Why do I look like a fairy that has just popped out of a lake overgrown with grass?

Even if I don't do anything else and just go out like this, I feel like I'll still win, so let's turn my head back with a confident expression.

"It's not a mess. You are beautiful."

Cosette hurriedly approaches me and pats my arm as if she's a masseur.

"You have always been my perfect muse."

I stare at her, wanting to know this is considered an urgent, emergency situation.

"It's the charity garden party today."

Folding her arms, Cosette says firmly.

"I was too indifferent. No, I was too complacent."

"What—"

"I believed in your beauty."

You can keep believing in it.

I mean, since I look like this, I'll be beautiful even if I wear a real bulky—

No, it's not like that.

The nun clothes that Catherine put me in and the heavy clothing that made my shoulders ache...

Basically, you should wear clothes that fit you.

"Your Grace's beauty is something no one dares to resist—"

"......"

"Evangeline said that she's brought in Rose Boutique since last night."

She's overdoing it.

"It's not even an official banquet at the imperial palace"

"No! This is more important than the imperial palace banquet."

Contrary to Cosette's usual bluntness, her two cheeks puff up excitedly.

"Cosette, is this because something happened with Rose?"

"Yes!"

Cosette nods violently, as if she has bit the bait that I swung.

Did you get a lot of stress because of Rose?

"I will make you the most beautiful duchess in the world."

Determined, Cosette pounds her chest with her fist.

"Just trust this Cosette! I'll hit Lady Evangeline's nose!"

"Even if you don't hit her in the nose—"

"Pope!"

As if my muffled voice goes unheard, Cosette summons Pope with a hand on her waist.

Pope responds to the call coldly and stands in front of me. She's also looking at me with a determined expression.

"Pope, let's begin."

"Yes."

The only thing I can do with their fierce desire is to give up my body with a smile.